PDA

View Full Version : Leaky (?) clutch

don_matese
23-09-2015, 06:13 PM
So this evening I went to my bike to begin my commute home and found my clutch was really light, opened the reservoir and found it almost empty. A quick trip to Halfords for some dot 4 brake fluid and a top up later and it seemed better but still not right.

My bike is an M600 with the internal clutch slave - theres no visible leaks although I did notice that the rubber was almost sucked into the reservoir.

When we put the bike back together after a rebuild it took ages to bleed the clutch. Is this a symptom of a failing slave and if so how do I remedy it? I suspect its a split the cases off again job?

Darren69
23-09-2015, 06:53 PM
I'm guessing that with that system any leaking fluid will end up in the engine oil so difficult to tell? The symptoms do point to a leaking seal on the slave that lets fluid out but not enough to let air back in, hence the sucked in bellows. Can you remember if when you rebuilt it the seals were replaced? A lot of bikes of that era used round o ring seals rather than quad seal rings so maybe try replacing with one of those type would help. The problem with that design which dates from the late '70's Pantah is that once the slave is worn you will probably have to replace the whole side case, hopefully a new seal will sort it.

don_matese
24-09-2015, 12:51 PM
o-ring from Ducati Glasgow has been ordered for a grand total of £5.50 :-)