PDA

View Full Version : Strange smells and smoke

Jonno
21-09-2015, 09:31 AM
Had a run out yesterday, around 200mile so the bike was warm on my return. On my return to the city, a closed road and diversion sent me into a mile of heavy traffic up a very steep hill. I was only moving one car length at a time, so on the back brake at biting point quite heavily. I noticed a strange smell when I almost got to the top and the clutch got "short", the biting point came close to the bar, and it all cut out. When I pushed it out of the traffic I had some smoke coming out of the open clutch cover, although not a lot. I let it cool down for about 15 mins whilst I tried to work out weather it had over heated or I had burnt the clutch out on the hill. I rode the final 5 mile home with no issues, although the smell from the clutch was noticeable for a few hrs. I also noticed oil around the plunge pin of the clutch lever. This is its first long long since a full service.
Anyone come across this before, or got a recommendations? I am wondering about taking the clutch basket apart. :confused:

Darren69
21-09-2015, 11:58 AM
Did you keep the bike in gear with the clutch pulled in?

Jonno
21-09-2015, 04:36 PM
Yes, other than for 5 mins when we were at a complete standstill, I was constantly creeping forward. All seems fine today, I just know if there is some internal issue.

Darren69
21-09-2015, 08:01 PM
Thought so, you've cooked your clutch. Even when you pull the lever in the plates are still sliding together generating heat. I always drop into neutral at every opportunity, its a pain but that's dry clutches for you. Nature of the beast I'm afraid, hope you've not warped any plates in the process? Any oil present will have burnt off at any rate!

Jonno
21-09-2015, 08:28 PM
Thanks for the reply Darren69, much appreciated. That's what I feared, I'll take the basket apart and check the plates, hopefully all is ok. Best modify my town riding!

Darren69
22-09-2015, 09:46 AM
If you're running the standard pressure plate maybe upgrade to a self ventilating pressure plate which may help keep the clutch cool e.g.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-Performance-Vented-pressure-Plate-Gold-for-dry-clutch-96856608B-DE-/141694831570?hash=item20fdab8bd2

utopia
22-09-2015, 11:40 AM
Even with a wet clutch, holding the lever in for long periods while the engine is running is not a good idea.
Then again, repeatedly trying to select neutral can be annoying and troublesome.
If I can see that I'm going to be stopped for more than just a few seconds, eg at traffic lights with a long sequence or if there's a long queue in front and I can see that its not moving for a while, I leave the bike in gear and kill the motor.
As well as saving clutch wear, this also prevents the whole engine overheating while at a standstill (mine's air-cooled).
Also, if you're on a hill. it stops the bike rolling without having to hold the brakes on constantly.
Obviously you wouldn't want to do this repeatedly over a short period for fear of flattening the battery, but that's seldom necessary anyway.
This is likely to reduce wear on the clutch release mechanism too, since this is designed more for occasional/intermittent use rather than sustained periods.

don_matese
22-09-2015, 12:20 PM
Judicious use of filtering to the top of said hill and queue of traffic may also save your clutch. If filtering is not an option you've picked the wrong road - turn around and go another way or stop and have a cup of coffee/tea at a local cafe?

PS I also kill my engine in heavy traffic due to air cooling issues and also to stop dogs turning rabid and wanting to attack me because of my noisy exhausts