PDA

View Full Version : May be nothing...Or something

Wasta
18-09-2015, 06:16 PM
Since I got the bike when I push the starter button there is a pause before it fires up. Being my first Duc I just assumed it's what they do but it's been suggested that the solenoid may be the cause of the delay.

Am I now worrying unnecessarily?

Darren69
18-09-2015, 06:41 PM
It might well be the solenoid or it could be something as simple as a poor connection between the 2 pin plug and the solenoid, sometimes they can come out partially too.

JMH900sie
18-09-2015, 09:36 PM
Upgraded starter cable aids with start times too. Ducati ones just aren't hefty enough to supply the current that the starter needs. I sell them on here for £27.50 a set posted. They're 77.50 on eBay

Wasta
18-09-2015, 09:53 PM
I have seen your cable kits JMH and an considering a purchase.

I'll check the plug is ok and in good condition tomorrow. Thanks for the info.

Darren69
19-09-2015, 07:34 AM
Is your battery in good order and fully charged? Could also be battery or the starter motor itself but you would hear the solenoid clicking straight away as you push the button.

Mr Gazza
19-09-2015, 11:17 AM
The first place to start with a lazy starter issue is the connections.

The connection pole on the starter itself is prone to verdigris corrosion. So make sure that one is clean and bright. The others are just as important, but don't get the weather so much...Check them all. Not forgetting the earth lead. (might be at the front of the engine on yours, but follow the negative lead down to find it and clean it.)

Whilst you have the starter lead off, press the starter and listen to the solenoid.
It should give a nice crisp click, both on and off.
The thin wires to the solenoid power up a coil which flings a plunger against a contact to send power through the thick cables to the starter. You should hear it smack the contact and then spring back onto it's stop.....And this can be felt with a finger on the solenoid too.

Carbon deposits over time, can slow down the plunger or even stop it, or the propelling field could become weak.
Not sure if you can get into Ducati solenoids to clean them?

At least it is still working. If it turns out to be the solenoid getting past it. there is, apparently, an identical Fiat part at half the cost....About £35 I have been told.

Darren69
19-09-2015, 11:52 AM
A quick search on here turned up the following:-

Starter solenoid - Rover/British Leyland Mini/1100 Yamaha XT600 (electric starter models)

I can't say how accurate it is. I found one from a Honda Superdream fitted my Laverda and it works fine!

Wasta
19-09-2015, 05:09 PM
Didn't get a chance to look today but will check all your suggestions tomorrow, thanks for the replies.

Can't say I've ever noticed the solenoid clicking before, then again, did I ever listen for it?

Darren69
19-09-2015, 05:25 PM
Well as Gary suggests, disconnect the starter circuit at either the solenoid or the starter motor end and you should hear it click. One word of caution should you decide to undo the main starter cable connection bolts at the starter motor if it is seized then if the threaded part turns you will probably knacker the starter motor, and it will need to be rebuilt so be careful if you go down that route. Tape up any bare connections just to be sure.

Darren69
19-09-2015, 05:34 PM
Probably best to disconnect the battery before you start then reconnect it when you are ready to test tbh, just in case the battery live touches an earth.

Mr Gazza
19-09-2015, 05:47 PM
As Darren advises, do take care with the starter pole. Make sure only the nut turns and not the stud.
You might get an idea if the connection is corroded, from the outside. Especially if it looks manky and has any bright green deposits about it.
Unfortunatly there is no substitue for having it apart and looking properly.

Be aware that the if you disconnect the lead from the starter only, that it will become very live indeed when you press the starter...Safer to pop the lead off the solenoid end for the "click" test.

Wasta
19-09-2015, 08:44 PM
Thanks guys, I'm a spark so the results of a short are well known to me.

I might leave the starter connection until last...Just in case.

Darren69
20-09-2015, 10:56 AM
I did a quick google search and I think this is the part Hitachi 12V MS 5A-181

Wasta
20-09-2015, 12:46 PM
That's one I found as well, that part is listed for the IE model, couldn't find any results for the carb model. I did have a catalogue but I've changed laptops recently and I think I forgot to move it across.

Darren69
20-09-2015, 01:03 PM
It's the same part from the Paso model (late eighties). Any type would probably work ok, you'd just have to get the plug to match. Most of the later ones have a moulded in 3-4 inch feed wire with a 2 pin male socket on the end and the type of plug varies. I notice the one from the Panigale has a built in fuse and a female AMP style plug but is basically the same unit. You'll probably find yours is ok but the connections may have corroded or the plug not fully seated.

Wasta
20-09-2015, 07:53 PM
typically, family related stuff got in the way, next weekend hopefully.

Wasta
18-10-2015, 07:00 PM
Well, it's done.

Ordered a new solenoid from my local but crap Ducati dealer, M and S on Westgate Road in Newcastle.

£32 and a two week wait for it to come from Italy. It arrived this week so collected and fitted today. Quiet an easy job made awkward by it's position on the bike. Anyway it starts better now, the delay has gone but there is still no audible click when I push the starter.