PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Bearings Brand Question

Ursa
14-09-2015, 09:46 AM
So I changed Edna's fork seals on Saturday at Oval Motorcycle Centre, and Matt pointed out a grumble on the front wheel bearings so I guess that's the next job.

So coming from years of skating, is there a premium brand of bearing? Is there an ABEC rating or something I should be looking for? * There's nothing I can easily find online and I can't get a feel for what the "quality parts" are, and after £90 for OEM fork seals, I'd just like to buy wisely.

*Yes there's still a theory that the ABEC rating is not relevant, couldn't find much difference on a skateboard, on quad skates some bearings were definitely "faster"

Darren69
14-09-2015, 09:59 AM
SKF are a reputable brand, that I've used before. There are probably a few others too.

utopia
14-09-2015, 10:05 AM
Some well known "names" for quality bearings are SKF, RHP, FAG, Timken.
These are manufacturers that have been established for decades.

Dukedesmo
14-09-2015, 10:29 AM
Some well known "names" for quality bearings are SKF, RHP, FAG, Timken.
These are manufacturers that have been established for decades.

Agreed, and if you look on the online bearing suppliers websites you will find that the above brands are usually only a quid or two more than 'economy' bearings.

Get the better brands, it's a no-brainer.

Darren69
14-09-2015, 10:45 AM
And Ducati dealer will charge an arm and a leg for the same thing!

Ursa
14-09-2015, 10:53 AM
Thanks guys, that's really helpful as always :p

damien666
14-09-2015, 11:32 AM
I'm looking to do the front wheel bearings on mine. I'd seen the 'all balls racing' brand.
They specify abec 3 bearings.
Anyone used them, good or bad?
Or just stick to mentioned skf etc?

Kato
14-09-2015, 11:55 AM
I'm looking to do the front wheel bearings on mine. I'd seen the 'all balls racing' brand.
They specify abec 3 bearings.
Anyone used them, good or bad?
Or just stick to mentioned skf etc?

Yes they are good bearings

However..........Ducati use SKF as standard and buying from the dealer is not at all overpriced going to a third party supplier might save you a couple off quid but that's it

slob
14-09-2015, 06:11 PM
I've used All Balls before, no problems.

Max and I use these guys regularly, good service
http://www.marksman-ind.co.uk/

JMH900sie
14-09-2015, 07:04 PM
I've used fag bearings in mine. 22 for a set for both wheels!

Darren69
15-09-2015, 08:00 AM
Yes they are good bearings

However..........Ducati use SKF as standard and buying from the dealer is not at all overpriced going to a third party supplier might save you a couple off quid but that's it

Well I only mention it because I recently had a dealer order my head race bearings and they were £30 each so it was £71 in total with vat and looking on ebay I can get 2 sets for that, that's 100% more expensive. May be only a few quid to you Kato but we're not all mega rich.

Ursa
15-09-2015, 08:31 AM
I'm definitely not mega rich after spending almost £2k on (much needed) servicing and repairs to Edna this year alone, hence trying to do the little jobs myself under supervision at Oval now, to a) make use of the skills I gained from the bike course and b) save pennies for treats for Edna like pretty carbon things :biggrin:

Again, thanks all, it's really useful to get a bit of a frame of reference around this, like I said I came from a background that had an obsession with specific branded bearings, and the £90 for OEM fork seals was rather eye watering! :eek:

gary tompkins
15-09-2015, 06:26 PM
I've used All Balls before, no problems.

Max and I use these guys regularly, good service
http://www.marksman-ind.co.uk/

I've got 'All Balls' bearings in the front wheel on the NC30

slob
15-09-2015, 09:49 PM
... the £90 for OEM fork seals was rather eye watering! :eek:

I last paid £10.58 + VAT each