PDA

View Full Version : Project Bike Advice

Aviatore
11-09-2015, 10:33 AM
So I found a project bike on Craigslist in pieces that I'm interested in. Not a Monster this time... 1960's BMW R69s

Anyways I'm curious about how things are done to purchase a vehicle like that in the UK. I'm assuming the title doc (V5 I believe) is simply signed, money is exchanged and I take the bike?

Of course there will be complications, he's way up north in the only town I was able to find on Google maps named Wigton. Barring going all the way up there which I might have to do. He's suggested a bank transfer and he'll ship it (which I don't like the idea of for scamming purposes). Ran the images in google image for other instances of it and didn't get any... so I feel a little better but not enough.

I'd rather not let this one get away as I've been chasing one for years and have lost a few in the past. I simply don't want to send money off to somebody and trust that they send me a bike in return. Are there any services that I can engage to defend against this scenario?

In the US we have a COD (cash on delivery or collect on delivery) where the money is collected at point of delivery rather than paid in advance. If it isn't signed and paid for it is returned to sender.

Anybody have any good ideas on how to skin this cat without paying into a complete unknown?

Dave G
11-09-2015, 11:07 AM
Didn;t know craiglist existed in this country, however, a quick scan of that advert rings alarm bells for me.
Two minor things- tires are spelt TYRES in this country, and we dont have a DMV we have the DVLA, there's a few more americanisms suggesting whoever wrote that is not familiar with language over here.
These two things alone make me think it's been lifted from another US ad somewhere and is a scam.

Darren69
11-09-2015, 11:20 AM
I would ask for a photocopy of the registration document with his name and address. Then if he sends you a copy of the V5 you would at least know that the bike has been registered in the UK.

Aviatore
11-09-2015, 11:32 AM
Didn;t know craiglist existed in this country,

I was surprised too, appears to be used less than gumtree or preloved, but I've sold quite a few things on there and so far have had nothing but good experiences.

These two things alone make me think it's been lifted from another US ad somewhere and is a scam.

Yeah I done picked up that dere DMV 'n' tyres thang, but cha-know I done give him benefit of tha doubt as... I'm in this here country now and can spell correctly! So he shuld too.

When he continued to send messages through craigslist instead of personal accounts I started to get suspicious but I've been chasing one of these for a while so didn't necessarily want to believe it was a scam... but it is ringing those bells. :hissy:

hhmunro
11-09-2015, 11:39 AM
Can't find the ad you found, but did find this...

http://vintagebmw.org/v7/node/9838

not sure if it is related...

Aviatore
11-09-2015, 11:48 AM
Different details but clearly its occurring, that one is much less well presented though. I guess that is pretty much that though... Poop!

Its funny the guys on that forum didn't say much about the scams as I'm a member over there too and have bounced questions off them before, even posted about this bike for their more expert opinions on it. Always amazes me how much these guys know about the details of a bike made 50+ years ago. Dates that a particular trim piece was added to the model etc.

I'll probably still go ahead and sell my R1200C though... this got me thinking that I like the Flying Spaghetti Monster better and that I don't ride the Beemer as much anymore. Given a choice between it and an R50/60/69 instead I'd take the old bike in a heartbeat. So trading it out for a project one would've been a lot of fun but it in the process it helped me to realize that my Beemer is just taking up space.