PDA

View Full Version : Ferry crossing: Any tips?

hoonermum
14-08-2015, 08:59 PM
Hello all, I've ridden abroad before, but only on dirtbikes which we've trailered onto the ferry and to our destination, I've never ridden a road bike abroad from start to finish and strapped them on the ferry. The plan is Plymouth to Roscoff. Anyone got any tips regarding strapping the bike down and other ferry related stuff?

Is it still the case that you have to have reflective stickers on your lid and clothing or just on your lid now? I've found a few sites about riding in France but they mostly contradict each other on quite a few details.

Cheers for any suggestions.
Maria

garry
14-08-2015, 11:02 PM
go as yer are....

stick yer gloves under the straps.

sorted.

Albie
15-08-2015, 07:59 AM
They take care of it. They lash it to floor or rail .Throw it in gear and we used to velcro tie the front brake. Euro tunnel don't need to do anything as smooth crossing

greg304
15-08-2015, 11:32 AM
iv'e done the Plymouth to roscoff route a few times and its easy. they have big pads and ratchet straps on board and the boat loaders strap your bike down over the saddle. they do them really tight and you need to make sure they don't bend the side stand as they did on my 749. the evo was fine

caferacer
15-08-2015, 06:46 PM
done the isle of man....whip your bike on ferry folk strap it, no need for concern, if its choppy stay low in the hull definately dont drink booze on board, best tip.....enjoy yourself, feel the breeze.

Nottsbiker
18-08-2015, 10:32 AM
We drove over to southern Brittany this summer (with dogs) and went Portsmouth - St Malo and if I was either driving or riding personally I'd go via the tunnel, save the money and take the hit on the mileage.

Ferry cost us x4 times the amount of the tunnel and the extra fuel still would have resulted in a 25% saving. The time was worse by ferry and saved nothing in the end...

Just my two penneth :)

SunEye
18-08-2015, 09:10 PM
Is it still the case that you have to have reflective stickers on your lid and clothing or just on your lid now? I've found a few sites about riding in France but they mostly contradict each other on quite a few details.
As far as the reflective stickers on your helmet goes then as far as I am aware the letter of the French law says yes, but the French riders say no. As with many laws in France that the general public (including the police) think are not worth enforcing, they aren't.

You are quite right that many English language websites provide contradictory information about riding in France, which is none too helpful. If you have any questions post them and I'm sure we'll be able to help. I know that there are members here who live and ride in France who I am sure will be able to give you accurate advice about riding in France.

SunEye
18-08-2015, 09:18 PM
We drove over to southern Brittany this summer (with dogs) and went Portsmouth - St Malo and if I was either driving or riding personally I'd go via the tunnel, save the money and take the hit on the mileage.

Ferry cost us x4 times the amount of the tunnel and the extra fuel still would have resulted in a 25% saving. The time was worse by ferry and saved nothing in the end...

Just my two penneth :)
I would tend to agree. In recent years Newhaven - Dieppe has been the only crossing that I have found to be a cost effective way for me to get to France compared to Eurotunnel. Before that it was Portsmouth - Le Havre. I have been going to France (Nantes, St Nazaire, Limoges,
Rennes) at least 4 times a year for many years, most times on my bike.

Dirty
18-08-2015, 11:32 PM
AA driving in France page (http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/driving-abroad-whats-new-2012.html)

slob
19-08-2015, 07:09 AM
Carry your V5/insurance docs.
You should carry spare bulbs (for anything that isn't LED these days) for your vehicle.
I've never bothered with a reflective jacket.
I don't think the triangle is required by motorcyclists.
I always carry a small first aid kit when touring.

watch out for
http://www.drivingtesttips.biz/images/french-road-sign-yellow-diamond-priority-to-right.jpg
when entering towns. It means give priority to traffic coming from the right!
You'll see the same thing without the back line as you leave, meaning you have priority.

When you see a radar sign, it almost always means there's a static camera ahead, they're grey with yellow/black stripes on the edges and harder to spot than UK ones.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2011/05/16/automobiles/wheels-france-camera/wheels-france-camera-blog480.jpg

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/gps-news/france-radar.jpg

Dirty
19-08-2015, 09:16 AM
I've never bothered with a reflective jacket.

A legal requirement for bikes from next January. Must be worn if broke down.

Nottsbiker
19-08-2015, 01:31 PM
I would tend to agree. In recent years Newhaven - Dieppe has been the only crossing that I have found to be a cost effective way for me to get to France compared to Eurotunnel. Before that it was Portsmouth - Le Havre. I have been going to France (Nantes, St Nazaire, Limoges,
Rennes) at least 4 times a year for many years, most times on my bike.

Wish I could afford to do the same - so much that we've decided to over pay the mortgage and move to France in 5-10 years time :)

Hate to admit it but cant wait to get out of the the UK :(

Davy
26-08-2015, 08:52 PM
Load yer bike up and go police will only bother you if your acting the wack I've never been stopped in years of riding through France just home after riding the route de grand Alps from Geneva to nice. Down to Marseilles and then went over the gorge de vern. I seen more army than police on the whole trip.