PDA

View Full Version : Lock stops gone

Ron1000
09-08-2015, 07:25 PM
as title says, was out for a run yesterday and i stopped off after 150miles or so only to notice one of my lock stops has gone entirely and the other one was winding its way off.

So I've decided I don't trust them and I won't be fitting replacements. I've checked the bars, forks etc and they come very close but don't actually touch the tank or frame so I'm happy at that.

However is there any other issues to be aware of?

Greyman
09-08-2015, 08:03 PM
On full lock do any of the hoses or cables get stretched ?

Ron1000
09-08-2015, 08:06 PM
Hmm, didn't think to check. Don't think so but I'll double check. :thumbsup:

chris.p
09-08-2015, 08:14 PM
Quick question, you have the bolt that goes through the threaded part on the bottom yolk, on the other side you have a nut that then locks the bolt into the position you have set it to, does the remaining lock stop bolt have the nut on it??

Lucas 796
09-08-2015, 08:24 PM
LOCTITE 242 Threadlock or similar on the bolt.

It won't vibrate loose then.

Ron1000
09-08-2015, 08:33 PM
Quick question, you have the bolt that goes through the threaded part on the bottom yolk, on the other side you have a nut that then locks the bolt into the position you have set it to, does the remaining lock stop bolt have the nut on it??

I have one complete side, nut and bolt. Other side gone completely. I could easily fit another and like has been mentioned lock tight them on. But is it really necessary to refit?

chris.p
09-08-2015, 08:41 PM
I have one complete side, nut and bolt. Other side gone completely. I could easily fit another and like has been mentioned lock tight them on. But is it really necessary to refit?

To be fair, yes, you do need them as they stop you damaging anything when you go hard from lock to lock.

Ron1000
09-08-2015, 08:57 PM
I've checked and nothing hits the tank or frame so I can't see any issues. But fair point there may be something else getting stretched or hit that I can't see.

Very very poor design IMO. I could've been going round a corner with that other one almost out. That would've got messy.

Ron1000
10-08-2015, 02:52 PM
It's one of those days, I popped into the garage to pick up the lock stop that was saved. Put it in my pocket and somehow managed to lose it.

Anybody any idea what size I would need? thinking possibly M6 or M7 maybe an M8 but I doubt it'll be that big.

Albie
10-08-2015, 03:21 PM
No such thing as M7 it should be M8 standard thread. mine are on a m900. 6mm will be not worth having.

Ron1000
10-08-2015, 03:28 PM
Cool I'll try an M8

Cheers M8 :chuckle:

Darren69
10-08-2015, 03:38 PM
Something like these should do. Don't know off hand what length though 20mm?

Darren69
10-08-2015, 03:39 PM
I mean like these:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M4-M5-M6-M8-M10-High-Tensile-14-9-Socket-Cup-Point-Grub-Screws-Allen-Black-/281731362994?var=&hash=item41987f70b2

pompone
10-08-2015, 03:48 PM
The original items if fitted properly don't come out..

Kato
10-08-2015, 04:16 PM
You may well not get anything to hit while stationary however you really don't ever want to drop the bike without them in or even worse get a tank slapper ....... Either way you'll quickly find out why they are there

Albie
10-08-2015, 04:20 PM
They are on a m900 m8 x 30mm long and should have a m8 half nut on it or both sides if you wish. Half nuts are thinner than standard.

Mr Gazza
10-08-2015, 04:23 PM
Pretty sure that properly adjusted steering lock stops are an MOT item?

Flip
10-08-2015, 05:34 PM
I know it's not Panto season yet but.........

No such thing as M7

Oh yes there is!!!!

They're used all over on the air cooled VW engines for things like rocker shaft retainer nuts and on most Ducati singles (including my Mach 1 race bike) for their chain adjusters and use a 1.00mm thread pitch as standard although are also available in fine pitch 0.75mm but I've never come across those personally.

http://www.fullermetric.com/technical/information/tech_basic_metric%20thread_chart.aspx

Back onto the lock stop subject they definitely should be there to give some kind of 'stop' to the steering to prevent damage elsewhere or for example if a steering damper was fitted it reaching the end of it's travel before the steering reaching it's limit.

The screws themselves are M8x1.25mm and 18mm long. As Albie has said, the lock nuts to secure them should be the thinner than normal often called half-nut type which in the case of M8 should be 5mm deep and Loctite should be used on the screw thread into the headstock only (not the nut) when assembling.

Albie
10-08-2015, 06:02 PM

Oh yes there is!!!!

They're used all over on the air cooled VW engines for things like rocker shaft retainer nuts and on most Ducati singles (including my Mach 1 race bike) for their chain adjusters and use a 1.00mm thread pitch as standard although are also available in fine pitch 0.75mm but I've never come across those personally.

http://www.fullermetric.com/technical/information/tech_basic_metric%20thread_chart.aspx

Back onto the lock stop subject they definitely should be there to give some kind of 'stop' to the steering to prevent damage elsewhere or for example if a steering damper was fitted it reaching the end of it's travel before the steering reaching it's limit.

The screws themselves are M8x1.25mm and 18mm long. As Albie has said, the lock nuts to secure them should be the thinner than normal often called half-nut type which in the case of M8 should be 5mm deep and Loctite should be used on the screw thread into the headstock only (not the nut) when assembling.

Oh well you learn something everyday. Odd size though enough to not warrant using unless space is restricted enough to need more meat.

My screws are 30mm long from a 93 manufacture but I reckon 25mm would just do it.

Ron1000
10-08-2015, 07:19 PM

Oh yes there is!!!!

Cool that's pretty much what I've bought all in nice stainless steel from west field fasteners. I got additional spring washers that I can fire on too.

I've got some loctite thread lock so I'll use that too. Job should be a good'un and done for this weekend…hopefully my rearsets will be fitted too, better make sure they are tight, wouldn't want one of those vibrating off lololol :mand:

Ron1000
12-08-2015, 06:08 PM
Ok so. That's me fitted new M8 grub screws, nuts and spring washers all in nice stainless steel, put a wee bit loctite thread lock on too. Also I made sure they were nice and tight :D

So that should be the end of that. ;)

I bought ten of everything, so essentially five sets. I have four left if anyone needs them.