PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pump not priming - M796

jonzi
03-08-2015, 08:23 PM
Hi All

Pomp1 has been advising, but right thought I would open it to the wider audience incase anyone has had the same issue.

A few days ago my bike didn't start in the morning, so I connected it to the optimate and it started fine, and I managed to get to work.

On the way home it was fine, but I ordered a battery, this is the one that came with the bike is 5 years old.

Went to work the next day, bike started fine in the morning, but wouldn't start when I went to leave. Ended up getting a lift from the AA.

They tried to jump start it, but the fuel pump wasn't priming.

Bought a new battery and fitted and still having the same problem

I have checked the fuses, checked the fuel relays and checked that the pump works.

Max suggested to check the voltage on the wiring side, which I have tried to do but might be doing it wrong.

Has any one had problems like this before?

Also, does any one know what point does what in the fuel pump plug?

Dirty
03-08-2015, 09:38 PM
Tried swapping out the pump?

jonzi
03-08-2015, 10:44 PM
I dont have a spare.

I run 12v through the pump and it worked. I dont think it's the pump.

Dirty
03-08-2015, 11:01 PM
Is the pump getting 12v with ignition on?

jonzi
03-08-2015, 11:07 PM
I can't work that out.

My multimeter is not registering anything when I stick the probes in the holes. But this could be that my mm probes are too fat to get in to the holes.

The wiring diagram I have is sh1te. I can't see the colour codes on it, so don't know what hole in the plug does what.

Dirty
03-08-2015, 11:56 PM
Get some thin wire and stick those in the holes (rip apart some broken electronic thing, you'll find suitable thin wires to keep for such occasions)

pompone
04-08-2015, 06:45 AM
How did the AA tried to jump start it exactly? Btw if you need to check s female plug you can remove the red bit for ease of access..

jonzi
04-08-2015, 07:33 AM
How did the AA tried to jump start it exactly? Btw if you need to check s female plug you can remove the red bit for ease of access..

Panels off tank off jump leads on battery

slob
04-08-2015, 07:49 AM
Tried swapping out the pump?

tried swapping the two black relays over?

Panels off tank off jump leads on battery

oh dear

jonzi
04-08-2015, 07:56 AM
Yep relays swapped and tested with 12v and a multimeter

Dirty
04-08-2015, 10:31 AM
I'm still taking bets on it being the pump :)

jonzi
04-08-2015, 10:41 AM
I'm still taking bets on it being the pump :)

If the pump is pumping when I put 12v across it, surely it can't be the pump that is borked?

Albie
04-08-2015, 10:57 AM
Something is not telling the pump to pump then.

BRH
04-08-2015, 11:53 AM
OK, might be a long shot but worth a look.
Remove the head light and check the mass of wire's that come from the clock's and run down into the bike, they are all bound together and rub on the head stock, slowly wearing through and course all sorts of electrical problems.

Lucas 796
04-08-2015, 12:14 PM
Another long shot. Are side stand and kill switch wires OK !!!!

slob
04-08-2015, 12:27 PM
recheck fuses 5 & 6 from left
5: 20A = Injection
6: 5A = ECU

going back to a recent conversation, is your switchgear properly earthed

jonzi
04-08-2015, 12:27 PM
Another long shot. Are side stand and kill switch wires OK !!!!

I have put the side stand up, on a paddock stand.

Kill switch is on, haven't checked wires.

jonzi
04-08-2015, 12:28 PM
recheck fuses 5 & 6 from left
5: 20A = Injection
6: 5A = ECU

I'll do a continuity check on them tonight.

Dirty
04-08-2015, 06:02 PM
If the pump is pumping when I put 12v across it, surely it can't be the pump that is borked?

Well I'd agree it's not the odds on favourite and should you find it's not getting volts with ignition on then yes, problem elsewhere. That said I've known all sorts of strange issues with pumps. They can look like they are working but don't when under load.

jonzi
04-08-2015, 06:37 PM
Defeated

I will take it to RC in a week. Max, expect a call.

I have tried checking the voltage from the plug wires, there are 2 pairs.

One of them isn't working when earthed. The brown and white wire from the plug. But I can't see where this goes to. My wiring diagram doesn't show colours as it's not high enough resolution.

It looks like it goes into one of the relays, but when I tried a continuity test from the relay to the plug I get nothing, so I dont know if its broke or I am looking at the wrong place.

Cheers for your help kind sirs.

Lucas 796
05-08-2015, 03:04 PM
I think the brown \ white wire from the fuel pump plug goes to the engine management relay and the black is your negative wire .if you have 12 v on the brown\ white at the E.M. relay when trying to start but not at the pump then you could like you said have a break in that wire.Could you try running a temporary wire to substitute the brown\white ???

jonzi
09-08-2015, 04:03 PM
Ok so back to this.

I have now properly tested the brown and white wire on the pump plug end, all I am getting is around 1v. When I test at the relay I get 12v.

Is there anything in between that would cause it to drop?

Dirty
09-08-2015, 05:17 PM
Are you getting 0v then 1v when you switch on?

Sounds like a break somewhere.

Darren69
09-08-2015, 05:42 PM
Either that or the relay isn't closing properly, but if you've already switched that out then I'd agree that a break is most likely.

Akita Boy
09-08-2015, 05:45 PM
I had a very similar problem with the S2R, check the wiring going to the fuel pump where it exits the bottom of the fuel tank. My issue was where the resin seal of the tank was over the years of the tank being raised/lowered the wires had very slowly started to break inside the plastic sheaf.

So it looked ok, and if they were bent in the right way they're complete the circuit and the pump would prime and the bike would work fine. But then, without warning, and in various situations. (Ie stopped, on lock to lock at roundabouts, under hard acceleration/breaking) the wires would move very slightly, break contact and it'd cut out.

Took Al at Proteam ages to find the fault, as the poxy thing would never fail when he had it! But eventually they failed completely and he quickly tracked the problem down.

A new fuel pump fixed the problem.

Good luck tracking your gremlin down!

jonzi
09-08-2015, 06:32 PM
Fuel pump is fine, I have connected that to another battery and the bike then runs.

I have by passed the wire that I think is the one that goes to the fuel pump from the relay and it works.

It looks like a dodgy wire in the loom somewhere.

I guess I now need to split the loom open and trace the wire.

I have something like this holding the relays

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E30-E24-E31-E32-E34-Relay-Mount-Holder-Socket-16501-/171366288148?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item27e63a0b14

How do I get the spade sockets out, without breaking the holder?

StevieL
09-08-2015, 08:36 PM
Push a small flat blade screwdriver down the cutout in the middle of each terminal from the relay mounting side and the terminals will drop out, if you need replacements they are 1/4 or 6.35 mm Lucar terminals, if you have trouble finding them pm your address and I will pop you some in the post. Rather than cutting into the loom I have used a bait needle to pull a new cable in with the minimum of fuss, it does require a steady hand and the battery disconnected just in case you stab something on the way through atb Steve

Lucas 796
09-08-2015, 08:41 PM
To remove most terminals male or female they will usually have a locking clip built into the terminals, so you need to release the clip with a thin but strong spike or needle. Go inside the holder opposite end to the wire and release the clip whilst pulling slightly on the wire.

Beet me to it. As above.

jonzi
09-08-2015, 08:45 PM
Great thanks Stevie and Lucas

Don't suppose anyone knows what the plugs are called on the fuel pump end, so I can get a replacement one.

Cheers

jonzi
09-08-2015, 09:38 PM
I worked out what connectors to use.

All I need now is to order some cable.

What rating wire should I get? I have found some where that does 16.5 or 25amp wire.

The fuse is 20amps if that helps?

Mr Gazza
09-08-2015, 09:56 PM
I have a spare fuel pump plug from an earlier model than yours...The type that enters the tank via the fuel level sensor.
It clips into the pump inside the tank.

I'll send you a picture tomorrow if you like...Free if you want it..The plug, not the picture....Well the picture aswell actually..:scratch:

Darren69
10-08-2015, 05:17 AM
I've used these in the past for misc electrical bits n bobs

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/

but you could probably use ebay these days

BigOz
10-08-2015, 08:19 PM
Not sure if it helps but the 696 manual shows the Bn/W wire going between the ECU on pin L1 to the fuel pump, starter solenoid, injection relay, coils and injectors. If the 796 is not different you should be able to continuity test between those points.

Big ugly image here (http://www.bigoz.net/IMG_0885.jpg), I have the 696 service manual in PDF if that might help.

Andy

I worked out what connectors to use.

All I need now is to order some cable.

What rating wire should I get? I have found some where that does 16.5 or 25amp wire.

The fuse is 20amps if that helps?

jonzi
10-08-2015, 09:03 PM
I like what you have done there Oz. Gonna get this printed off tomorrow and see if I can work this out properly.

BigOz
10-08-2015, 09:23 PM
Got some decent images from the PDF:

Wiring diagram (http://www.bigoz.net/M696_09_en2.jpg)

List of the numbered components (http://www.bigoz.net/M696_09_en.jpg)

jonzi
14-08-2015, 07:53 PM
I have bought two lots of relay clips and neither fit

Does any one know what these ones are called and where I can get them?

http://i.imgur.com/JOVXXDU.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ES2GP6l.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/nrhJcZL.jpg

StevieL
14-08-2015, 09:16 PM
Typically Italian - bastardise a common part to make life difficult. Google Durite Auto Electrical and select the Duriteparts option, you want the relays and flasher units section and you will find a standard bulkhead five pin relay housing, make sure you get the 6.3mm terminal type as they also do them in 4.8mm. They also stock the Superseal connectors that are used for the pump connections etc. atb Steve

jonzi
14-08-2015, 09:28 PM
Good lord, this is proving to be hard!

Durite are trade only!

And that relay box looks to be for one relay, where as the one that is on the bike takes two relays in one socket box.

But I guess I could buy two and just split them.

StevieL
14-08-2015, 09:34 PM
Will have a rummage in the morning Jonzi pretty sure I have a four way block left over from a job, the individual holders slot together to bank up as many as you need.

jonzi
14-08-2015, 09:37 PM
That would be awesome. Thanks

Might give them a ring and see if I can persuade them to help me out anyway. Just incase

StevieL
15-08-2015, 12:31 PM
Jonzi you have pm atb Steve

jonzi
22-08-2015, 09:50 AM
Turns out it was the datatool alarm

Some wiring was fried, which has blown the immobilizer part of the alarm, either from the AA trying to jump start it, or being too close to hot stuff.

Alarm pulled out and bike works again.

jerry
22-08-2015, 10:04 AM
thats a bummer JONZI