PDA

View Full Version : Brake pads

Georgeprice18
01-08-2015, 05:20 PM
Hi all,

Just after some guidance on rear brakes on the 696? The brake pads look ok, not great, but ok. The brake doesn't feel powerful. Is this a standard thing for the monsters?

jonzi
01-08-2015, 06:39 PM
Same brakes calipers as the 796 I think.

I changed my master cylinders from the coffin style to some Brembo axial and then to Brembo Radials

Mostly for looks in the beginning, but now because they are good MC's

With OEM brake pads and the axial MC's I was able to stand it up on it's nose one day to avoid riding in to the back of a car (Should have been paying more attention to the car!)

I have my old MC's for sale, with some ASV levers

The MC looks like this, but black
http://www.brake-kit.net/etz/brembo_axial_master_cylinder.jpg

Failing that. change the pads. Not sure what to recommend for the road. I use SBS on the track, on a 675 and they are great pads, but they are also dual carbon and apperntly not great in the wet, might even be marked as track only.

I have bought pads from this guy before, pretty good, gets them sent out quick. http://www.moto-racespares.com/

jonzi
01-08-2015, 06:40 PM
And I have just reread. I have no idea on rear brake. Never use it.

MrsC_772
01-08-2015, 06:49 PM
The uselessness of the rear brake (as compared with my previous bike, a 400 Suzuki Bandit) was one of the 1st things I noticed when I got my 696. It took a long time to bed in to the point of actually being capable of holding the bike for a hill start. Less than effective back brakes are one of the downsides of Ducatis (Multistrada riders have a similar gripe).

DrD
01-08-2015, 07:05 PM
Have no such issue with front or back brakes even on original coffin master and callipers
Regular fluid changes, scrupulous cleaned calipers, and discs (including bobbins on front) plus Carbone Lorraine pads (not organic)
Can do stoppies on front (had to to avoid car) and mega bite on rear when I need to.

Darren69
01-08-2015, 07:08 PM
If the pads look ok take them out and give them a clean. Remove the caliper and re-bleed as they are notoriously difficult to bleed properly in situ.

Georgeprice18
01-08-2015, 10:01 PM
Thanks all. Appreciate comments. From doing research I think because the rear reservoirs is near the exhaust tit gets too hot!

How much for asv leavers?

Georgeprice18
01-08-2015, 10:03 PM
Heard that lot. Cheers for reassurance

Flip
01-08-2015, 11:51 PM
Just give them a clean and make sure the brake is bled properly, the rear pads last forever- I can't ever remember ever changing mine but to be honest I never use it. Works ok for an MoT though.

The main thing in making sure there is enough play at the pedal (in the linkage) else they can be prone to binding on if the fluid is getting on a bit.

Nottsbiker
03-08-2015, 01:09 PM
The uselessness of the rear brake (as compared with my previous bike, a 400 Suzuki Bandit) was one of the 1st things I noticed when I got my 696. It took a long time to bed in to the point of actually being capable of holding the bike for a hill start. Less than effective back brakes are one of the downsides of Ducatis (Multistrada riders have a similar gripe).

Aprilia's all do the same that use the same underslung Brembo caliper. No amount of bleeding ever cures it permanatly. Shocking really that its still bad after all these years when it was known about when I got my mk1 Tuono whenever they came out :mad:

pompone
03-08-2015, 01:33 PM
They're more than up to the job if set up correctly. Obviously not to the same level as front ones..

DrD
03-08-2015, 03:32 PM
Aprilia's all do the same that use the same underslung Brembo caliper. No amount of bleeding ever cures it permanatly. Shocking really that its still bad after all these years when it was known about when I got my mk1 Tuono whenever they came out :mad:

My RSV rear brake works fine too (as does my underslung M900)
- it really is down to the correct cleaning and bleeding as discussed on Aprilia forums.

squarehead
03-08-2015, 03:46 PM
My back brake was not effective when I bought my bike. It was down to a dirty rear master cylinder, which I believe is a common problem. I've posted a thread on servicing the master cyl. I replaced the rear line and bled the complete assembly off the bike. A new unit, if this is your problem, can be had for around £45.

Servicing the master has transformed the power and feel. I wouldn't need much more rear braking power. I run Bendix sintered pads.

Darren69
03-08-2015, 03:59 PM
Bendix for me too as recommended by Neil at Cornerspeed

Wildfire
03-08-2015, 04:29 PM
I bled my rear brake, put braided lines and EBC HH Sintered pads in. That was about as good as it was going to get to be honest bit was fine to help me control the bike at slow speeds in traffic.

My MV rear brake is useless to begin with and then packs up after 3 months.

Georgeprice18
03-08-2015, 10:12 PM
Cheers all, looked at pads tonight. Loads of love in them, going to bleed it on the weekend