PDA

View Full Version : Oil pressure warning light

YourOldNemesis
14-02-2004, 12:04 AM
Sorry for the multitude of threads today, it's all new and exciting... I picked up my 2nd hand M620ie yesterday and have now covered about 70 miles. The problem is that the oil pressure warning light is now on. This is strange as:

The bike's not making any odd noises (so I assume oil pump's still working)
The bike has plenty of oil
The bike didn't do it yesterday when I picked it up from the dealers

How can I check whether the problem is with the electrics or the oil pressure really is down? - the instrument panel IS full of condensation... if anyone has a good answer for this it would be fantastic, I don't really want to ride it in this state and the dealer is 40 miles away.

johnypebs
14-02-2004, 09:34 AM
There's a thread on this somewhere about this disease. I twice replaced the oil pressure switch on my t'bird sport because it shorted enough when wet to bring the light on. If you have no way of measuring the oil pressure you'll have to fit a new pressure switch to see if that puts the light out.

snakey
14-02-2004, 10:12 AM
my oil pressure light is also eratic - it some times works when it's supposed to ( ign on and not running) , has done since i bought the bike I had the switch looked at but it's ok it seems to work when i fiddle about with the bike and move the wiring loom, the latest time that it worked for a while was when i tried out my new tank bag , moved a bit of wiring and o/p light worked for a few days, stopped again now though.!!
Pete.

superlight3
14-02-2004, 10:23 AM
Johnypebs advice is spot on. Try a new switch and see what happens. They're about £18.

Surely the supplying dealer can post one off to you? If not, give me a shout and I'll get one off to you.

Cheers.

Lee.

spacemonkey
14-02-2004, 11:47 AM
Take it back to the dealer and get him to check the switch. The switch is a cinch to swap.

YourOldNemesis
14-02-2004, 06:49 PM
They put a new switch in for me, cos the old one looked quite ropey, but they said the problem was the amount of water inside the instrument panel. They drilled me some drain holes in the bottom of the panel and fitted some drain tubes, so hopefully no more misted clocks either :)

YourOldNemesis
07-03-2004, 01:29 PM
A few weeks on and I reckon that the new drain holes have fixed it. My clocks haven't steamed up at all since - despite being in Scotland!