PDA

View Full Version : first time ducati owner

stephen b
19-07-2015, 05:19 PM
hi to all , recently became owner of 2001 monster s4,all in bits and boxes ,but all there,came at the right price, £300 isnt bad for a bike of that age but a bit of water damage to a few parts,all painted up powder coated etc ,just got get her running now ,may need a bit of advice

GWLS
19-07-2015, 07:51 PM
Welcome I'm new too! So I will be bugger all help i'm afraid, but I know the rules, so get them pics up!

Would be cool to see the transition from box to bike

G

Dirty
19-07-2015, 08:19 PM
A box of bike! Brilliant. Hi and welcome.

Yes pics please :)

Grumpy
19-07-2015, 09:33 PM
Welcome aboard!
Why not start a thread showing your progress ?

squarehead
19-07-2015, 10:47 PM
Hello and welcome to :ukm:, and the world of belts and shims.
We like a build thread here, so pics please!

steeevvvooo
20-07-2015, 07:38 AM
Welcome, and pics please.I always respect a person who can put a box of bits together to make a bike!! :)

Dirty
20-07-2015, 08:43 AM
Welcome, and pics please.I always respect a person who can put a box of bits together to make a bike!! :)

I've got the opposite way totally sussed :cool:

GWLS
20-07-2015, 02:37 PM
I've got the opposite way totally sussed :cool:

:bunny:

I reckon I could be your apprentice... i'm really quite good taking things apart :mand:

J.P
20-07-2015, 05:12 PM
Welcome to the club and to a great rebuild :)

Flip
20-07-2015, 09:55 PM
Nice- we definitely NEED a pictorial build thread of this!!!

stephen b
20-07-2015, 10:07 PM
not sure how to get my pics onto here ? ,bike is fully built now its taken a few weeks,but all parts were there,just the rear resevoir missing, but got immobilizer problems ,led stays on ,no spark and fuel pump not working, read a lot of posts on immobilizers, seems a common problem,could it be the transponder antenna ?

squarehead
21-07-2015, 07:57 AM
I use postimage for pics here. Resize them for 'internet forums' and copy and paste the link.

The antenna/aerial on my S2R has given a few problems but sorted with a zip tie to hold it up on the lock body....

Use the search function, many of your problems will have been encountered before.

Now where's the pics? :)

Darren69
21-07-2015, 09:07 AM
Didn't someone on here have a similar problem and it turned out to be the ground wire on the ecu should not be connected to the frame but somewhere on the ECU itself. I'll see if I can find the thread.

If the immobilizer doesn't read the key I think the LED blinks a few times then goes out.

Darren69
21-07-2015, 09:13 AM
Here's the thread, which sounds similar and as you built the bike maybe made the same mistake as this guy:-

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=50141&highlight=immobiliser&page=2

Worth checking that small black wire is not connected to battery but to ecu body.

stephen b
21-07-2015, 06:41 PM
yeh did make that mistake with ecu wire, put it where it should go but still no go, do the needles sweep when you turn key, cus mine dont

stephen b
21-07-2015, 06:47 PM
http:http://s6.postimg.org/8w88o2ky9/Picture_103.jpg (http://postimage.org/)
windows screenshot (http://postimage.org/app.php)//

stephen b
21-07-2015, 06:50 PM
thats todays pic, just testing how to get pics on here, find some more from when i started building bike ,hope you like it

Mr Gazza
21-07-2015, 08:34 PM
Well jealous of that for three hundred quid..!!

Did it come powder coated and painted or did you have to do a bit of resto on it before assembly?

Even so...Bargain.!. She does look like she's wearing bins though...:chuckle:

Dirty
21-07-2015, 09:01 PM
Agreed, what a bargain...... and for what it's worth I like the Dominators :)

Darren69
22-07-2015, 07:58 AM
yeh did make that mistake with ecu wire, put it where it should go but still no go, do the needles sweep when you turn key, cus mine dont

Yes both clocks should sweep.

Darren69
22-07-2015, 08:04 AM
Actually it depends which year as clocks are different on '01 and '02 and later bikes. Do you have digital odometer on rear wheel or is it cable driven from front wheel? I don't know if the earlier clocks sweep, but the '02 clocks do.

stephen b
22-07-2015, 10:14 PM
had the powder coating done by a mate for free,like the white it was gun metal grey/silverish
,and it came with carbon fibre mudguards,had clocks apart tonight, the speedo is cable driven ,so dont think it will sweep,rev counter is electronic but does`nt sweep on turn of the key,but if i hit starter button it does flick up and down, so i would say it was connected ok,going have another look at antenna and all connections on loom,would a faulty tps shut fuel pump off and immobilize her ?

smiffyraf1
23-07-2015, 09:32 AM
does look good with the white frame. looks like the early build SS's

Albie
23-07-2015, 09:38 AM
My 02 made 03 registered s4 never had sweep clocks. Had a speedo cable though. Last of the parts bin bike

Albie
23-07-2015, 09:45 AM

Check connections to immobiliser as I had that when I rebuilt my s4. I ended up cable tieing it so it would not come out. It was in front of airbox. But i moved it to the side of headlight bracket . Also check frame earth's from paint or powder coat. Look out for water ingress in the front spark cap as they are coil sticks and water corrodes them inside.

Mr Gazza
23-07-2015, 05:04 PM
You should call her Deirdre (From "On The Busses"...:chuckle:)

Re starting...This is from the Department of Stating The Bleedin' Obvious..

Make sure the side stand is up when starting.
Check The Kill switch.
Do you have to pull the clutch in on S4 or did that come on much later models?

Hope you get to the bottom of this soon mate....Looks far too good to remain silent.

stephen b
23-07-2015, 09:53 PM
named her swampy ,cuz most of the bits have bin livin under water in a box for over twelve months, not found an earth wire to frame from harness ? had pcb from rev counter checked out by a mate of mine he did a couple of dry joints ,cleaned it all up ,looks like a new one but still no go, my son did internet search , found the code was sayin ,no serial, which turned out to be no connection to ecu ,so is this the missing frame earth ?will get there ,dont give up easy , and have only spent hundred quid up to now

stephen b
23-07-2015, 09:59 PM
side stand switch has bin removed and clutch switch bypassed ,last owner said it ran and started ok ,headlights are stayin till i get a run down road for couple of months