PDA

View Full Version : Replacement bolts for engine/exhaust header-1100evo

5thOfJacks
17-07-2015, 06:48 AM
Does anyone have any recommendations / suggestions for where I can get hold of a set of bolts (thinking stainless steel at the mo) for the engine covers and exhaust pipe header for an 1100 evo? Seen this from somewhere in the U.S....
https://tpoparts.com/cat093/index.php?route=product/product&path=9&product_id=175

Any specific torque requirements??:spin::spin:

JMH900sie
17-07-2015, 06:54 AM
For non structural bolts (for engine covers, belt covers ect) use aluminium...... Stainless reacts with the casings, essentially welding them into the threads. Not good.

chris.p
17-07-2015, 09:09 AM
For non structural bolts (for engine covers, belt covers ect) use aluminium...... Stainless reacts with the casings, essentially welding them into the threads. Not good.

I always use copperslip grease on all SS bolts etc, saves them getting stuck in and makes them easy to remove :-)

JMH900sie
17-07-2015, 09:16 AM
Yeah, i do too, but it only takes missing that one key bolt that'll cause you issues in the future. All my bolts are ss :)

5thOfJacks
17-07-2015, 09:29 AM
Any recommended sources for Ss / ally bolts?

JMH900sie
17-07-2015, 10:06 AM
I bought a provost measuring card, then measured and replaced bolts slowly through eBay. I've spent sub £20, and replaced about 60% of my bolts so far

Stainless cap heads are stainless cap heads. Probolt bolts are nice, but expensive

JMH900sie
17-07-2015, 10:06 AM
That's probolt measuring card...

5thOfJacks
17-07-2015, 04:23 PM
Cheers for the tip-measuring card is in the post! Hopefully this'll turn out to be a relatively inexpensive Ducati related job... :)

Spanner
17-07-2015, 05:58 PM
Inox Bolts and Westfield Fasteners have both been very good when I've needed anything.

Darren69
18-07-2015, 06:45 AM
There are engine bolt kits available for sale on ebay about 30 quid.

Dirty
25-07-2015, 11:12 PM
Knew I'd seen this question recently. This (http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?_odkw=stainless&_ssn=sun_motorcycles&item=201394547524&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313.TR11.TRC1.A0.H0.Xstain less+ducati.TRS0&_nkw=stainless+ducati&_sacat=0) guys does SS kits, none listed for 1100 but might be worth asking him

Grumpy
26-07-2015, 08:26 AM
There is a really helpful guy in Linton, about 10 miles south of Cambridge, who runs a fastening supply business called 'Glenwood' ,I purchase my stainless from there.

Dookbob
26-07-2015, 08:32 AM
Kays' fasteners, on EBay do the full range of stainless nuts and bolts. I have used Coppaslip on all the fasteners no matter what the material is. I have also used other anti galling products but I prefer Coppaslip because it is heatproof as well, which makes it superior any where near the exhaust system. I know that some people don't like Coppaslip because it entails adding another metallic substance to the mix, but in fifty years of car and bike restoration I have never had trouble removing ( and re using ) fasteners that Have been assembled with Coppaslip. I have found that the most likely situation where fasteners seize up is where a stainless nut is used on a stainless bolt, in this situation you MUST use an anti seize product no matter what type you are happy with.

Spanner
27-07-2015, 01:32 PM
Kays' fasteners, on EBay do the full range of stainless nuts and bolts. I have used Coppaslip on all the fasteners no matter what the material is. I have also used other anti galling products but I prefer Coppaslip because it is heatproof as well, which makes it superior any where near the exhaust system. I know that some people don't like Coppaslip because it entails adding another metallic substance to the mix, but in fifty years of car and bike restoration I have never had trouble removing ( and re using ) fasteners that Have been assembled with Coppaslip. I have found that the most likely situation where fasteners seize up is where a stainless nut is used on a stainless bolt, in this situation you MUST use an anti seize product no matter what type you are happy with.

My old man swears by coppaslip. When I was a kid my dad used to repair/weld/restore peoples cars for extra money. It used to be my job to make sure the bolts had coppaslip on when they went back in. It's good stuff. It should be part of everybody's tool kit.

Dennis menace
28-07-2015, 01:03 PM
I also recommend Kay's fastener's on Ebay, always quick delivery and good prices. Twice now I have bought 'full engine sets' of SS bolts on Ebay and both times they have not been quite right lacking some bolts and having ones I don't need. If you are careful you should be able to buy the right number of the right sizes from Kay's for the same or less than an 'engine set'. When I can I get A4 rather than A2 spec as in my opinion A4 are not as soft as A2 ands less prone to rounding out hex heads. For stressed parts e.g. brake bolts, I prefer to use new 'originals' as SS bolts may not be strong enough.