PDA

View Full Version : Wobbly rear wheel

YourOldNemesis
13-02-2004, 02:16 PM
Only had the bike 2 days, riding it today and a guy on a scooter pulled up next to me and told me that my rear wheel's wobbling about. I've check the markings on the swingarm and I know that both sides are matched up, so the wheel should be running true, obviously I can't see the problem as I'm busy riding and it feels fine, can anyone suggest:

a) Apart from the alignment I've already checked what else could be wrong? I suspect that if the guy was right then it must be a chassis/suspension thing as, if the wheel didn't run true I'd feel it on the rear brake and I reckon it would foul the hugger.

b) Given that I don't have a centre stand or a paddock stand (but I do have lots of car axle stands and jacks) is there any way I can stand the bike up off the back wheel and see the wobbling for myself? If so please could someone give me instructions and/or piccys?

c) I reckon that in the near future (but not near enough for me to fix this particular problem) I will probably invest in a paddock stand, do I have to get one specific to the monster or are they generic items? Is there anywhere in/near SE London that you could recommend I go to get one? (Can you get them in Halfords?)

Thanks

Pedro
13-02-2004, 03:16 PM
It might be that the wheel rim is buckled which you may or may not feel on the brake. It might also be the tyre mounted badly. I think the problem is wheel not frame / chassis related.

To lift the bike put your axle stands under each side of the swingarm.

www.ducatisuite.com has some pictures showing how to do this.

Most bike stores will have paddock stands - no special one needed. Alternatively, try one of the mail order companies like Busters

Hope this helps

Ped

spacemonkey
13-02-2004, 06:47 PM
Could just be the tyre slightly out of alignment with the rim-you can see this on cars all the time.

Or it could be that he was just taking the ****-how many times as a kid did you shout at a cyclist that his back wheel was going around?