PDA

View Full Version : Replace fuel hoses

Rab
07-07-2015, 07:13 PM
Hi all.
Just spotted that my bike has a sticky tape fix on a fuel line so think it might be an idea to change it sometime ...
I've spotted this but just wanted to check I've got the correct ID. And how much do I need? Plus new clips??
I'm guessing I just need to take the air box off to access the lines and won't need to muck about with anything complicated?

www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/rubber-fuel-oil-hose-8mm-5-16-inch-inside-diameter-per-1-2-metre-m-rh-5

Thanks in advance for any help.
Richard.

Dirty
08-07-2015, 05:43 PM
Yes that's the stuff. Some of the standard hoses have very pronounced bends in them so take that into account when cutting, make sure they don't kink. You could use plastic 90° bends.

Not tempted by a braided upgrade? :)

Rab
08-07-2015, 06:23 PM
Thanks for confirming the size Dirty.
Upgrade? Oh, ok then! It will certainly add some shine. Presumably the braided stuff will negotiate the bends better too?
How many metres do you think will cover it? 3 including cock ups?!

Dirty
08-07-2015, 07:35 PM
Yes 3 metres should be plenty. Not sure if braided does bends better but it might do. Sure looks nice and shiny though. You can also get black nylon braided as well if the ss braided is too blingy. I've also seen clear hose along with a glass filter that looked pretty trick.

Rab
08-07-2015, 08:58 PM
Shiny ones ordered. Thanks again for the help.
Think I'll do the fuel filter as well while I'm fiddling around.
Cheers.

Dirty
08-07-2015, 09:26 PM
No probs.

Cutting the SS stainless can be tricky. Wrap with tape and use a very fine hacksaw. Youtube has some good advice videos. A dremel with a fine blade works well too.

Rab
08-07-2015, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the tips. The stuff I've ordered has a vulcanised SS braid so I'm hoping that shouldn't fray or at least not as much. No idea if that's correct or not but we'll see when I get around to fitting them...