PDA

View Full Version : Sat Nav installation

sandroBLQ
03-07-2015, 06:20 PM
Hi everyone,

My first post so go easy on me.

Just purchased an M821 and looking to install a sat nav, not sure if it's best to wire it direct to the battery or into a live wire somewhere but would be greatful for any info anyone has as I don't wish to mess up any sensitive electronics!

Thanks for the help

bazread
03-07-2015, 09:20 PM
Hi and welcome Sandro,

I have wired mine in using the same connection type as the Optimate battery trickle charger plug that the bike came with, does the 821 have one of these already fitted?

Wasta
03-07-2015, 09:30 PM
I wire mine back to the battery with the leads provided, it's fairly easy to route around the bike to your mounting point, remember to check lock to lock to ensure the cable isn't going to restrict movement if it's bar mounted.
I would add an inline fuse as well.

J.P
04-07-2015, 05:03 PM
So the 821 is a pain in the bum to get to the battery but after a failed attempt to join my Garmin into a switched live (the volts kept fluctuating too much for the Garmin), that's what we did.

Under the seat is a Ducati charging plug, but it unique to Ducati and it also is the plug for the diagnostics kit.

sandroBLQ
04-07-2015, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the info everyone, going to have a little look under the seat tomorrow and check things out.

Will have a look at the optimate plug connections that Bazread spoke about and possibility of wiring direct to the battery, just worried about it possibly being constantly live and draiing the battery.

Will also take some photos and hopefully post them to the forum so that if somebody else wishes to do the same they will have a photo guide to go by.

Also looking to find a different mount for my Garmin which i picked up today, sure i have seen something on google which is mounted via the central handlebar brackets..dont you love accessories, sure they will cost more than the bike itself eventually!

DaveDude1976
04-07-2015, 08:44 PM
I thought about a sat nav on my S4, but to be honest I just listen to directions through some in ear headphones from my smartphone. Saves a lot of hassle with wiring and bracket fitment!

Jonno
06-07-2015, 05:27 PM
I have just bought a sat nav. I have been advised to wire it to the ignition!? Do those who use them bother with blue tooth headsets?

J.P
07-07-2015, 08:43 AM
I have just bought a sat nav. I have been advised to wire it to the ignition!? Do those who use them bother with blue tooth headsets?

The wiring to the ignition is so that the cable isn't always live, just live when you're switched on. I tried that and it didn't work, hence I went straight to the battery for a constant and steady supply of volts.
You could also try splicing into the rear light circuit for power.

As for Bluetooth headsets, yes there are lots of people that use those. The main problem you run into is that the volume (if you're wearing earplugs, as you should be, can be a bit faint if you have a Duke). But it certainly helps at times.