PDA

View Full Version : Lifting/Cracking paint...?

simonb
29-06-2015, 03:41 PM
Popped the tank on my 695 yesterday and as I locked the catch back I noticed the paint on the tank indent above the catch sounded hollow as my fingers caught it. Anyway I gently pushed the paint and ..........it cracked? A small section has lifted a bit like a broken eggshell. Has anyone had this before? Wondered if it maybe due to the dreaded plastic tank swell or perhaps where the tank catch has been too tight and putting pressure on this area?

slob
29-06-2015, 04:13 PM
Ursa has the ssme issue with her 695.
the swelling is something else though, the first signs are usually the catch getting tighter and the rubbers the tank sits on not ligning up with the frame properly.

Ursa
29-06-2015, 08:46 PM
Ursa has the ssme issue with her 695.
the swelling is something else though, the first signs are usually the catch getting tighter and the rubbers the tank sits on not ligning up with the frame properly.

I do. Edna has "Tank Mumps" (sorry Bex :( ). The tank has actually started to go permeable and Ducati have told me to take it to a main dealer for examination to see how the land lies. I have to take Edna to Metropolis to be examined. The paintwork on the tank is now bubbling and cracking all over...

Dirty
29-06-2015, 09:26 PM
Ursa, please please, whatever you do, don't take your bike to that shower of sh!t called Metropolis. Worst dealer on the planet!

Ursa
29-06-2015, 09:33 PM
Oh it's ok Dirty it's just for them to have a look at, to give Ducati a verdict on the tank, not to have anything done, am really hoping for a replacement tank. Am going to the one in Barnet, not Vauxhall...

I go to Rosso Corse for things I can't manage by myself (currently that's most things bar changing the lightbulb on the tail light and replacing the battery :D)

Plus they let me have a go on the airtool last week woohoo!

simonb
30-06-2015, 03:30 PM
Ok! Thanks for the info. I'll keep an eye on it as no signs it is swelling and paint has only cracked above the catch? Interesting to see what Ducati think of your tank Ursa. Presumably they will not offer a replacement due to the age of the 695? Unless it is seen as not fit for purpose???

Ursa
25-07-2015, 01:35 PM
I finally got round to speaking to Metropolis Barnet on Thursday, Mike there had dealt with an 1100 with a similar issue and invited me to bring Edna in to be photographed.

So I popped up today, he was very nice and helpful about it all, he explained he would be speaking to Ducati UK about it on Monday, and hopefully they would replace Edna's tank as a goodwill gesture, as they had done with the 1100.

He was surprised at how bad it had gotten in a year, as he was storing Edna there for the previous owner to sell. I also explained she's kept garaged and am not a fan of wet weather riding. So he took photographs of the tank, which has now bubbled all over with the paint flaking off around the petrol cap, and a note of the VIN number, mileage and reg plate.

I'll update with what Ducati UK have to say about it, Ducati in Italy are already aware of this so hopefully there will be good news.

Ursa
11-09-2015, 02:09 PM
So am still no further forward with this, after calling Metropolis a number of times to find out what was happening, and being told the hold up was Ducati UK, I sent a tweet last week to Ducati UK to see if there was any other info they needed, they said they were still waiting on info from Metropolis... :confused:

I spoke to Metropolis yesterday, and explained what Ducati UK had said and was told that they had sent the pictures off, and I should email Italy again.... Emailed Italy again, they rang, and I explained what the latest update was. I also for good measure tweeted Ducati UK again, who now said they had all the info they needed and I gave me an email address to contact for updates...

Then I guess after Italy got in touch an email arrived from Ducati UK asking for photos of the tank and a copy of the service record!

So am not sure if the photos were ever sent, or who received them, or where they went (!!!) hopefully now I am dealing directly with Ducati UK am closer to a resolution.

Fingers crossed! :mand: Edna needs to look pretty again!