PDA

View Full Version : Getting the fuel tank cap insert back in

Drumnagorrach
24-06-2015, 06:16 PM
Some time ago,I remember someone having a struggle getting the cap back in ,particularly the green O ring.
Last night I took my cap out to fit a new low fuel level sensor,an activity best suited to a midwife with very slim forearms. All was well until I tried to get the insert back in and I assumed it was ,as had been mentioned on here before just really tight,but no amount of persuasion would get it in. Then I realized it was not the green O ring at all but the top rubber seal had slipped off the upper rim and wasn't allowing the insert far enough down.
With the top rim and mating recess of the rubber seal de- greased to get it to stay put on the rim ,the insert slides in with reasonable force.
So ,to get the insert back in ,make sure the top black insert to tank seal is stretched on to the top rim and flush with the top of the insert ,and not under the top rim.;)

Mr Gazza
24-06-2015, 06:33 PM
Yep....Much more fun on Christmas day, than those poxy puzzles that come out of the crackers..

Just wondering why you had the filler cap out to change the level sensor?

Drumnagorrach
24-06-2015, 06:46 PM
The level sensor ,on mine, has four pins on the external plug and from the body of the sensor (in the tank)are two of the wires emerging from the side of the sensor ,on the end of these is a plug. That plug connects to the fuel pump .
Now if the wires had been connected to the pump ,and the plug was on the end and plugged into the level sensor ,it would have been easy,sensor out ,unplug ,re connect new one and screw back in.
But no, some twat of a designer gave no thought to the fitting of the sensor.
I believe that no one should be allowed to design anything unless they have spent time as a fitter.
Rant over.

Mr Gazza
24-06-2015, 07:47 PM
I see....

I would have just cut the wires and re soldered with heat shrink over.

Beats me how all this electricity in petrol works?

Petrol must surely be a conductor?..I can't believe that the insulation is good enough to be effective submersed in petrol...That goes for the pump motor aswell.

Dirty
24-06-2015, 10:10 PM
Petrol must surely be a conductor?..I can't believe that the insulation is good enough to be effective submersed in petrol...That goes for the pump motor aswell.

I don't think it does. I remember looking this up sometime. I think it's a bit like water. Water, believe it or not, does not conduct electricity. It's the impurities that are in general standard water that conduct. Pure water won't conduct and I think petrol is the same ie there is nothing in it that can carry a charge.