PDA

View Full Version : Weirdness after tyre change

Pezz
23-06-2015, 11:56 AM
So yesterday got some new Pirelli Rosso Corsa fitted to my wheels. Last night fitted them to the bike. Today was wheeling it out of the garage and noticed the switchgear on the handlebars was banging against the tank. I though that was odd. Once I'd got it out I jumped on it to start her up and noticed the mirrors were pointing down in fact everything seemed angled back and down slightly.

First I thought surely new tyres with possibly different profile depth etc couldn't change the geometry that much. Old tyres were Angel ST just in case that info needs feeding in and the rear was a little bit squared off. Then I was concerned the forks may have been knocked [although I was careful not to] whilst being on a stand and the front being out. A chap at work who does a load of mountain biking said that sometimes when he removes wheels and flips the bike for any length of time often the forks need a bit of time to settle down - something to do with fork oil. Not sure if this might apply I obviously didn't flip my bike upside down ;)

When I was putting the front wheel on I hand tightened everything then dropped the bike to the ground and gave the forks a few pumps which I did holding the handle bars. Could that process have simply rotated the handle bar in the clamps. I have undone the clamps and pushed them forward just as a quick fix so I could use the bike to get to work. All seemed OK but I was on brand new tyres something I have never done before and was taking it super careful and paying more attention to not slipping off than anything else.

Any ideas?

Wildfire
23-06-2015, 01:25 PM
Sounds like you have rotated the bars round a bit. Have a look for marks on the bars.

Pezz
23-06-2015, 01:31 PM
I'll check - I hope its that - thanks

Wildfire
23-06-2015, 03:06 PM
If all your controls, mirrors and everything was rotated, it will have been the bars.

slob
23-06-2015, 03:41 PM
It has to be: the bars have been knocked, nothing you do with the front wheel affects the geometry of the yokes' relationship with the headstock.
It suggests that the handlebar clamps weren't properly pinched up before, so probably a good thing you spotted it at this point.

Nickj
23-06-2015, 06:06 PM
It has to be: the bars have been knocked, nothing you do with the front wheel affects the geometry of the yokes' relationship with the headstock.

Unless of course you slam the front into something very solid going reasonably fast but then you'd probably have noticed that!!

If the angles of the levers are the same both sides then it's just the bars shifted.

Darren69
23-06-2015, 07:00 PM
The handlebar clamp was probably a bit loose and with you bouncing the bike on the forks, have moved around a bit.

Pezz
23-06-2015, 09:03 PM
Thanks guys - just took the top clamp off to look at the bars and it was deffo them moving - they are slightly scraped. They were brand new on late last year after a minor off bent the originals so know its definitely that.

Now I know its nothing more sinister I can work on getting the new tyres scrubbed ;)