PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Spacers

Spanner
17-06-2015, 01:29 PM
Anybody know where you can get wheel spacers from? My M1000 has zinc coated ones and they are now looking very ugly. I'm hoping to replace them with some billet ones.

Mr Gazza
17-06-2015, 04:57 PM
My answer to those little zinc plated bits that go dull and scruffy, is a quick squirt over with an aerosol of "Silver Wheels" or simillar.
A coat of clear lacquer or varnish over that, takes the harshness off the silver and makes the job last a little longer.

If I want to make a good job of it I clean them up with a rotary wire brush in a bench grinder, and etch prime them.

While they are off, mic them up and make drawings. Then you can find a local engineer or pal with a lathe to spin some up in alloy.

Spanner
17-06-2015, 08:37 PM
I blimmin hate this zinc coated stuff. It's so ugly. I've found a company that makes spacers who I will contact when I get round to taking the wheel out. In the meantime I will just have clean them up and make do.

utopia
18-06-2015, 01:13 AM
Which wheel, and which spacers in particular did you have in mind ?

Spanner
18-06-2015, 05:45 AM
Which wheel, and which spacers in particular did you have in mind ?

I want to start with the front. The large ones that sit between the fork bottom and the wheel.

Nottsbiker
18-06-2015, 08:00 AM
Utopia has a lathe I beleive and the ability.....

Could make a tidy sum there mate making them up for popular sizes in ally / Ti etc :)

Darren69
18-06-2015, 08:21 AM
Yep, a definite gap in the market there. I would be interested in some for my S4

Spanner
18-06-2015, 08:55 AM
I'm surprised nobody is making them. Well not that I can find anyway. You can get them for the superbikes but not Monsters. There is a company out there making captive spacers but they don't list Monsters on their website. I might still approach them anyway.

This is the sort of thing I should get my dad making now he is retired. I know he would do a good job. Only problem is lack of access to the raw materials.

utopia
18-06-2015, 09:17 AM
As it happens, I'm currently limbering up for making some of the conical spacers for the rear wheel, in titanium.
I was planning to look into making spacers for the front too.
As with all of these little lathe jobs, the price becomes horrendously expensive if just one or two are being made, but becomes (slightly) more reasonable if a small batch is being done.
So yes, there is the strong possibility of a small production run here.
Tbh, its exactly the sort of project I've been looking for, where its feasible to make a batch of fairly popular and universal parts with a fair chance of selling a few of them, rather than just one-offs which are usually more of a labour of love with zero business potential.
I'll be taking my own front wheel out in a couple of days to fit a new tyre so I'll have a closer look at what spacers are in there.
The economics are somewhat dependant on getting a supply of titanium at the right price, but I've got that solved for the rear now and maybe the same source can supply something for the front too.
One problem will obviously be drilling the large hole down the middle (in titanium) because I'll probably have to make them from solid bar.
But, providing these little issues can be sorted, I think there's a strong possibility of making spacer sets for both wheels.

It would be useful to know roughly how much interest there would be in these.

Actually, I've just remembered that one of my wheel spacers completed the Classic TT last year, in Stafford's bike, ridden by Stuart42. (thanks, Stuart ...still makes me grin).
So, roll up, get your race proven wheel spacers 'ere. :biggrin:

Spanner
18-06-2015, 09:29 AM
I would certainly be interested. For the right price of course!! www.captivespacers.com sell theirs for £22 per wheel or £29 for both. They are made from aluminium billet, so I assume titanium would cost more. The front ones in my bike are simple straight tube and are not captive. To replicate what is already on the bike might keep costs down a bit rather than trying to make captive ones?

Anyway, some food for thought for you.

garry
18-06-2015, 07:19 PM
£29 fer both !! bargain, and yes i,ve got my own machinery, but at that price why bother.

DrD
18-06-2015, 09:35 PM
£29 fer both !! bargain, and yes i,ve got my own machinery, but at that price why bother.
But they only do them for the latest Supersport Ducatis unless some one knows differently.

dacs
18-06-2015, 09:46 PM
But, providing these little issues can be sorted, I think there's a strong possibility of making spacer sets for both wheels.

It would be useful to know roughly how much interest there would be in these.

:hail:I confess a weakness for a nicely turned piece of exotic metal, would be interested assuming my 750 (2002 750ie) uses same spacers

popelli
19-06-2015, 05:45 AM
The economics are somewhat dependant on getting a supply of titanium at the right price

I have a contact who sources me material at the right price ever so useful

which reminds me I need to chase him up again

garry
19-06-2015, 06:11 AM
But they only do them for the latest Supersport Ducatis unless some one knows differently.

well that makes it more viable...

Funkatronic
19-06-2015, 06:25 AM
pretty sure this is what you want

http://www.amazon.com/Speedometer-Spacer-Ducati-748-916/dp/B005CW9XIQ

Spanner
19-06-2015, 09:26 AM
pretty sure this is what you want

http://www.amazon.com/Speedometer-Spacer-Ducati-748-916/dp/B005CW9XIQ

Good spot. They look exactly like what I need but as I got to the checkout I discovered that the shipping was £36!!!

Back to the drawing board.

Also discovered TPO Parts do titanium ones for $29.99.

Spanner
19-06-2015, 09:29 AM

When I get round to removing my spacers for a measure up I will contact them to see if they have anything that will fit or whether they would be willing to make some. I could always mention that there are a few people from this site that would be interested. It might help to persuade them to make some up.