PDA

View Full Version : Drop the engine?

squarehead
14-06-2015, 10:14 PM
Got the S2R on an Abba stand and front paddock stand. Got both axles out, the airbox is off and the tie rod and shock are coming off too. Tank is drained as I found a leaky breather pipe.

Question is would you at this point drop the engine out, as it needs painting, or is this going to be tricky with the bike in this state?

slob
15-06-2015, 10:44 AM
Exhaust pipes, throttle bodies, wiring...

the swingarm mounts to the engine, so it'll all collapse when the engine's gone

easiest way is to chock the engine up and get a friend to help you lift the rest of the bike off the engine, either way its not generally a one-man job

squarehead
15-06-2015, 07:15 PM
Thanks Slob, was going to unbolt the throttle bodies, disconnect the wiring BUT I'm an arse as the Abba stand means this isn't going to work...

Thick or what?! :fou:

jonzi
15-06-2015, 08:18 PM
Pompone might be able to give you details of an engine stand that can be made up in steel.

Slob also could possibly.

With the stands I was able to take my SS apart all on my tod. and get it back together.

squarehead
16-06-2015, 10:22 AM
Thanks Jonzi, Dookbob has sent some pics of the stands he uses. I'm going to put the bike back together and make some stands up. Engine out at the end of the summer, before it gets too cold for painting.

Albie
16-06-2015, 10:33 AM
It's not impossible on your own but I managed just. But as slob said best assisted. You don't want to ruining any fresh paint either.. If you are able to hang the bike from strong joists or engine lift it's doable but very space taking.