PDA

View Full Version : Original 93 M900 10k miles, Kehins, radials etc.

Edcase
12-06-2015, 02:28 PM
Ok so this is partly a for-sale thread and partly an advice thread.

I recently pulled the trigger on a 899 Panigale, and yes it's f-ing amazing.

I always planned to keep my M900 - forever. It's my first bike, it's a special bike, and for what it's worth it seems silly to sell really. I was planning to take it off the road for a while, have then engine casing redone, maybe the frame resprayed. Otherwise she is perfect.

However, now I have the 899 I realise that realistically the Monster is just never really going to get ridden, and she is a bike that really doesn't like just sitting around, and deserves to be used! So I am testing the water.

The bike has a completely genuine documented 10,000 miles on the clock. It was 'rescued' by a friend, who was a rather tall police officer who was too big for it but he rescued it from a female owner who had it in her lounge for about 10 years - she scared herself on it, couldn't bare to sell it, so she didn't!!

Since then it has always been garaged, never seen the wet, has hardly been used because I've just been so busy in recent years and also living in central London made it tough (I am now in Bristol hence the 899), immaculate service history from Rosso Corse, who said it is the best M900 they have ridden.

I have made fairly subtle but very important modifications which make the bike really fantastic to ride, including:

Kehin carbs, rolling-road tuned - just amazing, the progression, the sound...
Brembo radial brake and clutch
Clutch booster
Ducati performance carbon cans (still have the originals)
Adjustable rear shock
I also have a very special set of Mandarina Duck panniers that were part of a short special launch in Italy, where the material on the top of the bag matches the seat! And a DP tank bag.

It has literally never once broken down, and the only thing ever needing replacing other than consumables was a recent front fork seal. May sound too good to be true but feel free to chat to the guys at Rosso Corse about the bike, I'm sure they will tell you.

In terms of condition unsurprisingly it looks almost immaculate. The engine case would benefit from being redone at some point, and there is some acid damage on the frame paint where the pipe from the battery came off once and I didn't notice for a while. I have the touch up spray but never gotten around to it. On the flipside I fitted brand new mirrors and OEM rearsets/footpegs. Otherwise it is unmolested - no tail chop etc. All original.

I obviously understand that these are very slowly starting to become collectable, especially in such good condition, with such low mileage and with the Kehins and Radials etc. but it's pointless if I'm not going to get to ride it, and am about to buy a new house so the cash would come in handy.

So - two questions:

1 - will I regret selling it do you think?
2 - how much is a 'fair' price? I am certainly not desperate to sell by any means and there is definitely a point at which I would keep it rather than sell.

Thanks in advance!
Ed

https://igcdn-photos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpt1/t51.2885-15/11191559_836183793084597_518792012_n.jpg

https://igcdn-photos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfa1/t51.2885-15/11116600_370879376437351_1400143798_n.jpg

Darren69
12-06-2015, 02:55 PM
Hi Ed,

1 Yes, most probably because the Panigale will only make sense when you're doing 70-80 mph plus, at least that is how my 748 feels. If you need a Ducati fix at lower speeds then the Monster is ideal.

2. They seem to go for 2-3k depending on condition so I would expect 2-2.5 for a good one. Looking at yours I would say at least 2k + value of extras. It can vary of course and be 1k-1.5k for a bike needing work.

Might as well hang on to it :)

Spanner
12-06-2015, 02:58 PM
I might be completely wrong but it's probably worth more to you to keep it than to sell it. Keep it and enjoy the different riding experiences you get from riding that and the 899.

That's what I would do anyway!

Edcase
12-06-2015, 03:11 PM
I have a friend (true story!) who has loosely offered me 3k for it. That's why I am tempted. I've seen a couple others at that level which had (much) higher miles and not the nice extras. The carbs transform the bike.

Darren, you'd actually be amazed. The 899 is apparently geared more towards road riding, and it's an occasion even at slower speeds! I'm in love with it. But yes, the Monster is a v v different riding proposition.

Also I can take panniers, and a passenger on the Monster. I have already removed rear pegs on the Pani. Hmmmmm.

tricky73
12-06-2015, 03:33 PM
i would not sell it yet, i would park it up in a mates garage and see how much you miss it

Edcase
12-06-2015, 03:42 PM
i would not sell it yet, i would park it up in a mates garage and see how much you miss it

I think this is good advice. I've only had the Pani for a week, maybe the immediate novelty will wear off a bit.

Darren69
12-06-2015, 03:53 PM
Good advice. 3k is a very good price for a low mileage early 900 with all those good mods. So I would hold out for that or close since it would cost at least around £500 for the Kehins alone.

Zimbo
12-06-2015, 04:01 PM
I agree, £3K seems a fair price for it, and it does look a lovely example. Rough ones are going for £1500 - £1750 and ones in reasonable nick seem to be £2000 - £2500.
You may get more by swapping the carbs shock and cans back, putting it back to close to original (should then be worth £2300 ish) and then selling the Kehins shock and cans separately ...
I've sold monsters before to go onto other Ducatis, always seem to end up back with another monster after a bit though!

FLATTOP
12-06-2015, 04:29 PM
If you can afford to keep it you should its lovely by the way.

When i parted with my 98 M900 i instantly regretted it, youve got a 93 it can only become more valuable.

Pedro
12-06-2015, 04:30 PM
I'd keep that!

Dirty
12-06-2015, 06:35 PM
1. Yes
2. £2750

desa
14-06-2015, 11:51 AM
What a beaut!... I'd have to agree, dont let it go. But if you do decide to part with it. Keep me posted as i am interested.
Gorgeous pics btw

Flip
14-06-2015, 12:32 PM
I'd definitely keep that, an original run 900 in black can't be very common these days.

But if I did I wouldn't touch that frame colour assuming it's not completely rough up close (a little patina isn't bad), they are only original once and I do hate the investment element (bikes should be ridden) but will only go up in value because of it- no yellow hoop on a '93 model though?

Davy
12-07-2015, 10:12 PM
I'm the new owner of this monster had it out for a blast tonight whoooooo hoooooo, I must say Ed was fantastic to deal with all the dealing were done by email and txt bar one or two courtesy calls to confirm the bike was on its way to Ireland and to say thanks.

Edcase
12-07-2015, 10:47 PM
I'm the new owner of this monster had it out for a blast tonight whoooooo hoooooo, I must say Ed was fantastic to deal with all the dealing were done by email and txt bar one or two courtesy calls to confirm the bike was on its way to Ireland and to say thanks.

Ahhh great news - those carbs are pretty good, eh?!

Likewise a flawless transaction, took the decision to sell or not out of my hands really. Enjoy the bike and shout me for a beer if you are ever in/near Bristol!

Ed