PDA

View Full Version : New M900 Owner

Mikeh21
02-06-2015, 09:03 AM
Hi All
I have just acquired a 1997 monster 900 in grey,cant tell you much about the bike as I havn,t had it that long.Any thing to look out for would be greatly appreciated
I have started to tidy it up a bit as the previous owner had taken off the indicators,rear and front mudguards and hugger,luckily they were all included in the sale (accept front mudguard bolts)
.I had a 93 red m900 monster years ago which was a good bike.I also have a Kawasaki zxr 750 h1 and a 1979 MZ TS 250 - wahey!!
cheers Mike - oh I live in Cornwall - just

Dirty
02-06-2015, 05:11 PM
Hello and welcome.

When were the belts last done? If unknown it's probably good practice to do them.

Mikeh21
02-06-2015, 08:16 PM
Hi no I don't know when they were done.
I will get them done soon as I can,will be doing very little mileage for a while whilst I fettle
There is a guy I know who reckons it only takes about 40 mins to replace belts and he has a car manufacturer that uses the same belt and it is cheaper and easier to get hold of
Any of that sound true to you?
Cheers
Mike

smiffyraf1
02-06-2015, 08:19 PM
welcome! tis my fave colour that grey! think you need to be putting pics up :)

Dirty
02-06-2015, 08:24 PM
40 mins, if they know what they are doing and have done loads.
Belts - I believe that is only the 4v engines or the S*R engines, I can't remember, they share belts with a Renault anyway but I'm pretty sure your 900 doesn't. The best belts imo are the ones by CAcycle works who now have a UK dealer http://www.exactuk.com/exactfit-belts-fitments-price/. Some people are religious about changing them every 2 years but it's not set in stone. Depends a lot on mileage and use. Mine are 3 years as I type, low mileage and a visual says they are fine for this season, I'll do them next year. If they are unknown like yours then the first job is to change them just for peace of mind.

Albie
02-06-2015, 08:57 PM
I had a charcoal grey 1997 one in 2003 to 2005.

pompone
02-06-2015, 09:37 PM
Early monster belts are cheap. Not worth the hassle of looking for non-Ducati ones. Make sure the person knows what they're doing. Last one I've seen that had a general mechanic to do it snapped a belt, wrecked the engine, even split a closing shim in half..

Mikeh21
03-06-2015, 10:56 AM
Hi all
Thanks for your reply and sound advice gonna get a quote for the belts at local bike garage,sound the guy out to see if I think he knows what he"s doing
Not sure how I put photos on here,help needed with that.
My bike is far from immaculate,but not bad,will benefit from some good old fashioned elbow grease and time.
First priority apart from fitting optimate lead,which I have done is to get a new back tyre and get her through the mot at end of the month
I have put indicators and hunger back on and will change oil and oil filter soon
Keep you posted and will put some photos up soon as I know how.
Is there anybody else out there who finds the standard cans really ugly?.There are some short 9 inch slash pipes for about £90 from the states which I think would suit the bike.There gonna be loud though 95 to 105 db it says at 8000rpm .I guess that would be an mot failure?
Anyway
Cheers allMike

Dirty
03-06-2015, 05:30 PM
Hi all

Keep you posted and will put some photos up soon as I know how.

Forum pics don't work so use postimage.org. It will resize them for you as well. It's very simple and intuitive. Just upload the photo you want then copy the 'direct link'. Back here click the little yellow square -> http://s28.postimg.org/yhfpnnpt5/yellow_mountain.jpg above the text box and paste the link in the box. Job done

I guess that would be an mot failure?

No, there is no noise requirement for bikes and most bike MOT testers are fairly lenient if you don't take the P so you should be ok

Mikeh21
03-06-2015, 06:39 PM
hello and thanks - will give it a go one day soon

Cousin it
03-06-2015, 08:09 PM
Hi
Two Wheel Technics Ltd near to the ski slopes in Plymouth are Ducati friendly, my S4R has no issues with loud pipes when they do my mot.

Mikeh21
03-06-2015, 09:48 PM
Ah Mr Rodney Hole I think, I have used him before when he serviced an Aprilia Falco that I had.
Thanks for the advice
Mike

Cousin it
03-06-2015, 10:02 PM
That him, :) I have used him for MOT's and to replace the belts on my bike for several years now.

Mikeh21
04-06-2015, 10:24 AM
Good to know thanks.I will give him a call to get a price
Cheers
Mike

utopia
04-06-2015, 01:54 PM
Ah Mr Rodney Hole I think, I have used him before when he serviced an Aprilia Falco that I had.
Thanks for the advice
Mike

No offence intended, but.....
Blimey, Mr R. Hole ?
One hopes his middle name doesn't start with an S.

Welcome along.
There are good videos (by Ducatitech) on the net which demonstrate the procedure for belt changes (and valve clearance adjustments too).

Goofle
04-06-2015, 09:44 PM
Given a small amount of patience and tool wielding ability belts are home enthusiastic rider possible. I did mine - a couple of methodical hours. YouTube taught me and gave me the confidence.

Mikeh21
06-06-2015, 06:00 AM
I don't think that's the first time he will have heard that,I don't know him that well,but he was very fair and reasonably priced - got a good sense of humour to I'm sure by now.
I'll have a look at the ducatitech videos -cheers