PDA

View Full Version : Leaking after oil filter change

jonzi
21-05-2015, 06:44 PM
Good evening kind sirs

I have changed my oil and filter recently, now when I start the bike I am getting a very slight leak from some where around the filter.

Now I ain't no Steveeeo (I have changed a filter and oil successfully before), so don't think that the problem is the oil filter being too loose. ( And I have checked to make sure)

So what could cause a leak from the filter kind of direction?

And any pro tips?

The oil is the expensive red kind and so I am a bit reluctant to drain it if I can get away with not draining it.

JMH900sie
21-05-2015, 07:01 PM
Could be that the old seal from the only oil filter is stuck under the seal of the new one, and thus leaking. Could be a dirty sealing face. Could be a loose filter......

Starter Sprag
21-05-2015, 07:06 PM
I bet it's a genuine ducati filter,

The rounded steel rim, is too pround of the rubber seal, preventing the seal doing it's job

Either get another replacement, or another brand of filter, eg K&N

Flip
21-05-2015, 07:09 PM
I would say if you have only just changed the filter and it looks like it's leaking there- it probably is.

You could try getting the motor warmed up and giving the filter another pinch up- maybe a quarter turn but see how it feels as you do it.

Worst case I would guess is that there is a bit of dirt on the mating face preventing the seal from ..er ...sealing.

jonzi
21-05-2015, 07:13 PM
I bet it's a genuine ducati filter,

The rounded steel rim, is too pround of the rubber seal, preventing the seal doing it's job

Either get another replacement, or another brand of filter, eg K&N

Fiddlesticks

It is a ducati one

If I drain the oil in to a nice clean receptacle, and put it back in that's ok isn't it?

Unless I can turn the bike over to keep the oil in whilst removing the filter...

pompone
21-05-2015, 07:35 PM
Have you removed the old seal (as suggested by others?)

BigOz
21-05-2015, 07:49 PM
I had a Ducati one that just would not seal, replacement was fine, I don't remember loosing much oil when I replaced it, just a top up required.

SteveM900
21-05-2015, 07:59 PM
You don't have to drain the oil to remove the filter. You will lose some oil from removing the filter, but only a small amount. Tip the oil from the filter into the new filter ( always worth filling an oil filter with oil before fitting anyway to aid the circulation) lubricate the seal, refit and top up as required.

jonzi
21-05-2015, 08:02 PM
Oh, For some reason I thought that it would pour out of the hole when the filter was removed.

Cool cheers all.

I think I might just replace it with a nice K&N one

Dirty
22-05-2015, 12:32 PM
I think you should just save time and get Steeevooo to do all your bike maintenance :chuckle:

pegboy
22-05-2015, 01:39 PM
you will loose the oil filter capacity and a tiny bit after, super clean and dry container and your fine to re-use the oil,

jonzi
22-05-2015, 01:51 PM
you will loose the oil filter capacity and a tiny bit after, super clean and dry container and your fine to re-use the oil,

Sweet, cheers.

steeevvvooo
22-05-2015, 02:47 PM
you muppet! Stick a screw driver in and tighten it up... I can help if you want?

jonzi
22-05-2015, 02:53 PM
you muppet! Stick a screw driver in and tighten it up... I can help if you want?

Woah woah, this isn't a steeevvvooo type situation.

I have filled it correctly, put in place correctly and done the oil filter up correctly.

I have a duff oil filter.

You keep your screwdrivers away from my bike!

J.P
22-05-2015, 03:33 PM

You know one day, you'll turn to the dark side and win a trophy like Steevvooo

steeevvvooo
22-05-2015, 06:47 PM
Woah woah, this isn't a steeevvvooo type situation.

I have filled it correctly, put in place correctly and done the oil filter up correctly.

I have a duff oil filter.

Ahem! My bike is running beautifully (thanks Rob) and always has done (thanks Ray, Marcus, Max, Alec...) So that must make me a master technician!? My certificate of excellence from Bologna must be in the post I'm sure.

A bad workman always blames his oil filter... A dumb one like me asks someone else to help fix it ;)