PDA

View Full Version : Underslung rear caliper

Nottsbiker
15-05-2015, 07:40 AM
Hi All,

I'm busy collecting parts for my winter 900 build and want to get the rear caliper under the swingarm. I've seen lots of different brackets on ebay for various Monsters / SS's but cant tell if any will allow me to move my existing brake 180 degree's out of the way for a cleaner look.

I have also occaisionally seen some kind of kit for 888's that looks like a race kit with new torque arm - do I need this piece of gear to get the look I want or is there a cheaper way to go about it?

Many thanks - Ben

Dirty
15-05-2015, 08:05 AM
You can just do it with the correct bracket.

The one you've seen with the torque is the floating rear caliper set up for which you'll need a few other bits n bobs.

I might have a spare bracket knocking about

Dukedesmo
15-05-2015, 08:37 AM
As above, just the bracket required unless you want the floating caliper mount (888 style), in which case prepare to dig deeper into your pocket.

For underslung, you need one of these;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DUCATI-M900-M-900-750-600-MONSTER-REAR-BRAKE-CALIPER-HANGING-BRACKET-/181724215491?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a4f9b78c3

paynep
15-05-2015, 10:13 AM
If anyone else needs one, I've got one going spare too.

Its in my box of "must put on ebay" things!

Paul

Nottsbiker
15-05-2015, 12:57 PM
Can you PM me with some prices please?

I'm on my work PC which blocks ebay so will check out the links via my phone....

Nasher
15-05-2015, 04:09 PM
I was about to reply to this thread saying surely it's not that simple because using your existing caliper the bleed screw will be at the bottom.

Then I thought, no, you've only had the Monster since last summer, haven't had cause to bleed the rear brake yet, and these guys know what they are talking about, so better go and have a quick look.

And behold, the underslung caliper on my 97 M900 has the bleed screw at the bottom.

That's a bit 5h1t when it comes to bleeding it I assume.
All the Jap bikes I've had with underslung calipers have had the bleed screw at the top where physics dictates it should be.

Nasher.

Mr Gazza
15-05-2015, 04:39 PM
You might find this thread of interest Nottsbiker.

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=50926&highlight=floating+rear+brake

Nasher, I think it's easy enough to slip the caliper off to bleed it the right way up. (with a block between the pads)

It's also much easier (and safer) to have the caliper off when changing the pads, as the pins are really difficult to get in properly with it all upsidedown.
I lost a pad on my first Monster only a few days into ownership.....It had been dealer serviced just prior to the sale, and the retaining pin was not through one of the pads.!!!!

paynep
15-05-2015, 07:46 PM
If you want to go for the race look, you can always use the underslung bracket as pictured and make up a spoof torque arm with a couple of rosejoints, some ally tube and a bit of bracket fabrication! It would only be for show and would fool most people. Well, except all of us on here :)

Saint aka ML
15-05-2015, 08:06 PM
Anyone seen the floating calliper assembly on ebay, you know the 888 style :)

Dukedesmo
16-05-2015, 10:35 AM
If you want to go for the race look, you can always use the underslung bracket as pictured and make up a spoof torque arm with a couple of rosejoints, some ally tube and a bit of bracket fabrication! It would only be for show and would fool most people. Well, except all of us on here :)

Not sure if serious? (forgive me if not).

But, a faux torque arm being connected to a part that doesn't move (engine) at one end and a part that does (caliper and therefore, swingarm) at the other when the suspension compresses - is not going to end well... :cry:

JMH900sie
16-05-2015, 02:01 PM
What's the advantage of the floating rest caliper? I only ask because I have one.....

Dirty
16-05-2015, 05:59 PM
What's the advantage of the floating rest caliper? I only ask because I have one.....

Follow the link in Gazzas post

You might find this thread of interest Nottsbiker.

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=50926&highlight=floating+rear+brake

Nasher, I think it's easy enough to slip the caliper off to bleed it the right way up. (with a block between the pads)

It's also much easier (and safer) to have the caliper off when changing the pads, as the pins are really difficult to get in properly with it all upsidedown.
I lost a pad on my first Monster only a few days into ownership.....It had been dealer serviced just prior to the sale, and the retaining pin was not through one of the pads.!!!!

Nottsbiker
18-05-2015, 06:44 PM
Thanks for the additional replies since I last checked

I won't be going down the faux route ;)

Also I've owned 2 aprilia Tuono1000 's in the past with the same rear brake so am more than used to removing the caliper to bleed it unfortunately

Saint aka ML
28-05-2015, 10:51 PM
For real if that sells for even close to that I think there is a good business in it.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-Performance-Floating-Brake-Kit-/161545074133?hash=item259cd635d5

Nottsbiker
29-05-2015, 06:47 AM
Ouch! Thats a decent chunk of cash for that kit. Wonder how much it was when new?

Kato
29-05-2015, 07:08 AM
Its for pre 2001 bike the price is in the originality of the parts the seller is correct it will also fit 888/851 but that one was specifically for the Monster / SS, if it were a genuine part from one of those early SBK's it would be double that money.

As it stands its worth that if you won't the last bit of original kit for a very limited run of bikes

There are copies around for a lot less money, Louigi Moto do a nice billet underslung bracket

As for advantage of doing this ........well the floating caliper system never proved to be any better than the fixed one hence the reason it was never a permanent fixture on all models, putting the caliper underneath though does one good thing, it puts a little weight lower down improving the CG which helps with high speed cornering stability

Nottsbiker
29-05-2015, 11:58 AM
Thanks for the info - very interesting.

I didnt say I thought it was expensive consdidering what it is, more like stating that I could not afford it or justify the cost ;)

I was looking at my caliper bracket the other day in the shed and as I got the bike in boxes was not 100% sure which way round it should go once on the bike. It has a slotted piece which I'm guessing locates on the swingarm and also has an m6 bolt hole in a protruding tab which could be for a brake line or something similar. As I have no way of knowing which year I've got as I got enough parts for a bike but 2 frames (donated one to Utopia) and now have a 900ie lump I can safely say I'm building a 'bitsa'.

Got to build my garage first though!! :)

Dirty
29-05-2015, 12:10 PM
£350 (inc postage) + duty isn't just expensive, it knocks expensive out of the park with enough force for it to orbit the planet a couple of times!

Darren69
29-05-2015, 12:26 PM
Yes I agree, a bit on the high side for what it is essentially and as Kato says Luigi Moto do a nice billet one and when I spoke to them they said they could make me a full floater style one but I didn't enquire on the price at that time but I'll wager it will be comparable with the that one on price but will look much nicer and be better quality.