PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust clamps?

Wildfire
12-05-2015, 11:09 AM
Right, MOT is coming and I've not managed to sort the rubbing left hand down pipe. I'm going to try for a clamp to stop it rotating as springs are not really an option at the moment (welding etc).

I don't have a slot in the manifold though...

Anyone know the size of clamps I'd need on a 2001 M600 or a good way of fixing this in time for mid June?

Any offers of help to actually sort this will be rewarded with beer tokens.

Cheers

Nottsbiker
12-05-2015, 11:42 AM
You need to measure the diameter of the pipe before getting on ebay etc and purchasing some stainless steel clamps. Putting a slot in the outer pipe may help you be able to clamp it up more securely. Lidl / Aldi often have cheap vernier calipers which will help you measure a pipe easily.

Mr Gazza
12-05-2015, 04:56 PM
I find that one silencer or other is sometimes loose in the pipe.

I think it may be down to how the two headers join at the cruciform.

When I assemble the pipes back on the bike, I always get everything in place with all the nuts on the manifolds and join, finger tight or maybe a touch more with a spanner.
Then I give it a good wiggle and settle it into place...You can actually move it from side to side quite a bit, and I think this is what makes a silencer loose if it's too far out to one side.

I then tighten all the nuts a bit at a time, so there is no undue tension in any of the joints, leaving the cruciform joint till last to fully tighten.

You could do this without taking off the exhaust system. By loostening all the nuts off and making sure the bottom joint moves.....give it all a good wiggle with the silencers in place and see if you can get rid of the slop in the offending silencer, without making the other one loose.

It's possible that you might need to replace the sealing rings in the heads (It would be better with new ones anyway) but chances are you would get away without.

....Worth a try for a few minutes with a 13mm spanner?

slob
12-05-2015, 06:01 PM
The stock headers are 45mm.

Wildfire
12-05-2015, 06:12 PM
Cheers Guys. I'll get the spanner out later on this week. I've been having a look at cutting a slot in the headers, I think it will be the last resort.

gary tompkins
12-05-2015, 07:52 PM
The headers are meant to be a slide fit without clamps