PDA

View Full Version : Insurance & Aftermarket Bits

Taman
11-02-2004, 09:05 AM
Hi all,

Coming up for insurance time and have been doind a bit of scouting around. Wanted to check what I'd been told.

Seems that despite what you value your bike at, if it's stolen, they just give you a guide book price for the model and year. So you lose the extra bits that you've put on (exhaust, etc...)

Secondly, do they take a hard line on exhausts that are not legal? Is this going to void insurance? Seems like you would never get a Ducati insured if this was the case. Though don't want to think that I'm happily insured if I'm not!

Best, Taman

DesmoDog
11-02-2004, 09:24 AM
I was told that if the aftermarket bits and bobs are not listed then the insurance is void. Then again, they also insisted on a Thatchman approved alarm and immob (Bikesure, thanks!).

JAYNEYT
11-02-2004, 09:46 AM
The best place I have found is a company called Adrian Flux - tel 0870 771377.

This company do insurance policies called 'agreed value'

My other half has a banidt 12 which is fully customised and worth over £10k - they have insured it on this agreed value for £10k.

Best of it is - he was insured with Carole Nash at a cost of £280 for TPFT for the book value - he then heard about Adrian Flux and insured it fully comp for £230 for £10k !!!!!

You do have to supply the insurance company with a full written spec of your bike (including modification prices) and also photos of it from every angle.

Adrian Flux say the crirteria for having an agreed value policy is that your bike must look different from that of a standard bike.

Giv'em a try

Hope this helps

johnypebs
11-02-2004, 11:09 AM
Taman,
I raised this with Norwich Union when I had to 'upgrade' my m900 insurance and they didn't care about the legality of the cans, only how much they would add to the risk of the bike being nicked. They moved me up a group because of all the carbon on it though. Even so don't give them a chance to dip a claim, tell them everything you've put on the bike.

robht
11-02-2004, 12:13 PM
Hello Taman,

My insurers were happy to insure my bike with non-legal Termis, perf airfilter & remapped ECU, but charged extra
and they would only replace the termis with standard exhausts if the worst happend. So i pay extra for the having the Termis and if the bike is nicked or crashed I loose out. Sounds like I was stiched up.

This was with Tangent Southwest who have recently been taken over by something-or -other Direct.

I think it best to mention non-legal exhausts as it reduces the excuses for the insurers to weasel out of paying up.

Cheers,
Rob

Pedro
11-02-2004, 09:32 PM
Try www.insuremyducati.co.uk - set up with the DSC and very well priced. I had no probs with my carbon cans etc

Ped

Taman
11-02-2004, 10:07 PM
OK, so sounds like I DO need to list the changes, but they don't worry except for increasing my chance of getting stolen & therefore premium. But I don't get the bits replaced if anything happens. But if I don't tell them about the bits, then something happens they may not payout.... so have to tell really.

Will also check out this agreed value deal.

Am still doing a bit of shopping around re price. Will post comparison at end.

Best, Taman

Taman
12-02-2004, 02:54 PM
I'm probably not going to like the answer to this question, but what do you think the market value of my 2001 M900 Dark would be. It has about 6k on the dial and have changed the exhaust to road racing, put a PCIII, clip ons, vented clutch cover.

Book value is apparently £3500. I found this a bit of a shock, but wanted to figure out whether I was just being unrealistic or whether I needed to sort out some agreed value insurance!

Best, Taman

spacemonkey
12-02-2004, 03:55 PM
I'm awaiting a quote... Just told Carole Nash I have moved (ahem..) to central London and that I don't have a garage...
Policy doubled! £335 for TPF&T! Fer Chrissake!!

JAYNEYT
12-02-2004, 04:11 PM
Taman

Try Adrian Flux insurance they have been really good.

You actually tell them what your bike is worth........it doesn't go on book value. You have to get photos done of your bike from all angles, list every mod on your bike and the price. If you take out the insurance they send you a valuation form which you have to get stamped up by a garage/engineering place to say they agree with the said value you have stated.

I would be really suprised if they didn't come up trumps with you.

Cheers

Jayne

Taman
12-02-2004, 04:34 PM
Will give Adrian Flux a call, but any ideas what my bikes value would be?

JAYNEYT
13-02-2004, 08:17 AM
I would take a logical approach -

Firstly value your bike as standard.
Then list your mods and attach a price to them (make sure its including fitting)

Then add the two together and add some on (but make it realistic)