PDA

View Full Version : St4 rear rim width.

Saint aka ML
03-05-2015, 03:10 PM
So I have a ST4 rear rim that I had fitted to my old monster.
Alignment of it was done rather randomly and I want to do the job right.
ST4 rim is wider at hub then SS/Monster rim and I do not want to machine down the rim if I can machine down the brake carrier/sprocket carrier.

I remember at one stage when I had an SSie and got flat tyre on Monster I just swapped over the rear wheel, brake carrier (as one from monster was machined down to ST4 rim) and sprocket carrier (as one from monster was machined down to ST4 rim). All went in no issues.

Have few questions that need to be answered now as got confused.

1. Rear brake carrier is it the same width at the spindle on all SS/SSie/Monster/Monster ie with double sided swing-arm? From my research it is the same size on all of them (in which case my previous alignment no idea how it worked). Width should be 30mm then.

2. On US forum (speedzilla) Ducati23 guy did the mod I did and advised another what he needs to do as he also purchased ST4 rims for his SSie. Assuming info on the US forum is correct that ST4 rim is wider at hub by 3.81mm and only on right side. So he machined down 3.81mm and could use ST4 rim. He also made same spacer to use stock rims again.

Now I went about measuring my old sprocket carrier and it is about 22mm so 8mm less assuming 30mm stock width is the same on all rear brake sprocket carriers.

Anyone done this mod?

If not does anyone have a 900SSie rear wheel that they could measure the width of the hub at?

Or maybe there is a website that gives that info?

Saint aka ML
03-05-2015, 03:22 PM
and I found another thread where apparently ST4 rim is 1/4" wider at hub lol.

Can someone measure up for me a hub width of older monster rear wheel? Preferably 1993 one or one with same rear wheel?

Saint aka ML
03-05-2015, 04:50 PM
Ok back to basics could someone just measure for me hub width of 17mm spindle sized rear rim be it
5 spoke or 3 spoke?

It seems like 25mm spindle one's are all wider at the hub as my 620 has 25mm spindle and it is 18mm wide at hub. So is my ST4 rim. That matches info I found on the web where 25mm spindle sized bikes have wider rear wheel hub.