PDA

View Full Version : Monster 821 2015 problem finding neutral

Ecko
02-05-2015, 07:32 PM
Has anyone had problems with getting into neutral from standstill? I'm left holding on to the clutch at long traffic lights as I cannot for the life of me get into neutral.

At the moment I've resorted to slipping it into neutral just before I come to a complete stop.

I've changed my levers to the EvoTech short levers (though I have had this problem before the change) and I've tried adjusting the clutch position throughout the range without any better results.

The bike has had it's first service and the dealership said that it'll loosen up after 1000 miles.

Is there any truth in that?

Thanks,
R.

ChristosM1200
04-05-2015, 08:43 PM
Hi mate. Got the 1200 and i have the same issue as well. Its a common thing, i have googled it.
To be honest i cant really tell if it will get better, as i have done less miles than you but my dealership told me exactly the same.

Albie
04-05-2015, 09:01 PM
Its meant to get better after the service because allegedly they use a running in oil ? and you get premium in the oil change. Scrambler folk were saying the same and on some occasions I was faffing about when running mine in at first. Now its been changed seems to be ok but its more me getting a knack to whether I find neutral from second or go down to first and up. Getting not many false neutrals and if I do I find its me being to carefree.

J.P
04-05-2015, 09:36 PM
Yep exactly the same with my 821.
Just as the cogs wear in it'll ease up and be fine.

Ecko
04-05-2015, 09:47 PM
Nice one thanks for the feedback, thought it was just me.

I've only just done 600 miles so I'll update when i'm pass 1000.

R.

Ecko
03-06-2015, 10:27 PM
Clocked over 1000 miles now and it has eased up, not loads but noticeable to stop me whining :)

R.

allrevdup
04-06-2015, 05:56 AM
Tested a M1200 last week and found it impossible to find neutral.
Dealer have his own M1200 and told me his did it too.
He either selected neutral on coast down or switched off the engine when stationary, selected neutral, then restarted.
I can't be doing with this on a £11K bike...didn't buy it.

GDCobra
05-06-2015, 09:55 PM
My Mr 2010 doesn't have any problem finding neutral I can find it between most gears!
My dealer told me that the engine casings date back to the 80s or before when it was only a 5 speed so I think Ducati have done a fantastic job to fit 6 gears in there and about as many neutrals.

Seriously though it is annoying, I think it's what people refer to as character which is a word often used in place of sub-standard or perhaps garbage. Although it is getting better I'm not convinced I have the patience to spend too long with this bike and the "ownership package", I have been very tempted to put it up for sale this week but guess I'll have keep it until next spring.

MR21
06-06-2015, 10:59 AM
I've not owned a bike yet that doesn't have at least one idiosyncrasy. I took out a Panigale 1299s the other day, and nuetral was easy to find, but the gearbox in general was less positive than the M1200, and when I got back on the Monster the gear changes had a much better feel. Agreed, nuetral is a bitch to find at the best of times, but then after 100 miles on the Panigale I thought my wrists were broken, and it singlehandeldly raised the ambient temperature of Somerset by 10 degrees! It runs very hot! So if the pros of a bike outweigh the cons I'm happy, there's no perfect machine.

Darren69
06-06-2015, 12:50 PM
There's probably a Ducati Performance part to remedy that at considerable extra cost?I found that putting in a DP lighter flywheel and DPclutch helped no end with my S4 but my previous experience with SS Ducatis and 748 all have demonstrated the same trait and its basically the same engine and gearbox on all those bikes so I'm not sure about the newer ones, and also chain tension has to be spot on too.

GDCobra
07-06-2015, 10:04 AM
I've not owned a bike yet that doesn't have at least one idiosyncrasy. I took out a Panigale 1299s the other day, and nuetral was easy to find, but the gearbox in general was less positive than the M1200, and when I got back on the Monster the gear changes had a much better feel. Agreed, nuetral is a bitch to find at the best of times, but then after 100 miles on the Panigale I thought my wrists were broken, and it singlehandeldly raised the ambient temperature of Somerset by 10 degrees! It runs very hot! So if the pros of a bike outweigh the cons I'm happy, there's no perfect machine.

You're probably correct but it does seem that Ducati suffer more than most and then reconcile it by calling it 'character'.

Having said that it must be a thankless job designing motorcycles as if you do make a very competent, sophisticated machine it then gets called bland and/or boring. I had a Honda C1000R a few years ago which I thought was fantastic but many people called them boring, mind you they probably had the benefit of not having actually riden one. Why would you when there are plenty of magazine articles to form an opinion from?

AndyC_772
07-06-2015, 10:55 AM
My Diavel is a bugger to get into neutral when it's cold, and when it was brand new it was never easy.

Now it's got a few thousand miles on the clock, it clicks into neutral quite happily once it's warmed up a bit.

Tallulajc
07-06-2015, 09:13 PM
The cogs won't wear ! They are made of hardened steel ... If anything the drive chain freeing up will make finding neutral easier! I find just releasing the clutch slightly helps get mine into neutral.

slob
08-06-2015, 08:46 AM
everything wears! some things more than others. gearbox, chain and clutch will have the most effect. it does improve with use.

Kazza
08-06-2015, 07:33 PM
My way around the problem with mine at the minute is to switch the engine off, turn the key to 'on' - it then goes straight into neutral! Otherwise I'm holding people up at traffic lights whilst faffing around :-)

wezrvf
08-06-2015, 09:34 PM
Every now and then I get this problem on my 1200s and this solves it every time. If you are sat at lights with clutch in or just pulled up somewhere to stop and can't find neutral, just let the clutch out slightly so it starts to bite, pull it in again, neutral!! BAM, first time ;)

Just try it, like i say, works every time for me. I also have the Evotech levers.

Let me know how you get on.

MR21
08-06-2015, 10:18 PM
You're probably correct but it does seem that Ducati suffer more than most and then reconcile it by calling it 'character'.

Having said that it must be a thankless job designing motorcycles as if you do make a very competent, sophisticated machine it then gets called bland and/or boring. I had a Honda C1000R a few years ago which I thought was fantastic but many people called them boring, mind you they probably had the benefit of not having actually riden one. Why would you when there are plenty of magazine articles to form an opinion from?

Lol, I completely agree!

Ecko
08-06-2015, 10:20 PM
Every now and then I get this problem on my 1200s and this solves it every time. If you are sat at lights with clutch in or just pulled up somewhere to stop and can't find neutral, just let the clutch out slightly so it starts to bite, pull it in again, neutral!! BAM, first time ;)

Just try it, like i say, works every time for me. I also have the Evotech levers.

Let me know how you get on.

I do that when i get frustrated as my palm starts aching in traffic but it doesn't flick into neutral, are you doing it from first or second?

GDCobra
09-06-2015, 09:34 PM
Many years ago I had a Kawasaki which, when at a standstill and pulling up on the lever would only let the 'box go into neutral not second. I can't remember what it was called (or what TLA they used to undoubtedly used to describe it) but I'm sure it was real and not something my memory has made up with the passing of time. Anyway it's a shame some modern bikes have it.

I never seem to have a problem on mine though, in fact I reckon I've got some of the neutrals some others seem to have been robbed of.

wezrvf
09-06-2015, 09:35 PM
I always do it from first. Another little trick is to pop it in neutral, from first just before you come to a complete stop and are still rolling. This works for me too. I am sure it will get better but you do have to adapt a bit to the bike. I am sure if I got another bike now that went into neutral easy I would still knock it in before stopping.

J.P
10-06-2015, 08:23 AM
I also find that as Wezrvf says doing it just before you stop is best, but if you are stopped, just rock the bike back or forward a bit and you'll find it'll slip in easier.
I gets easier. I've done 1100 miles since picking it up at the end of March and it's much better now.

Ecko
11-06-2015, 10:00 PM
I also find that as Wezrvf says doing it just before you stop is best, but if you are stopped, just rock the bike back or forward a bit and you'll find it'll slip in easier.
I gets easier. I've done 1100 miles since picking it up at the end of March and it's much better now.

I was a bit sceptical about 'rocking the bike...' but it works!

I've gotten used to slipping it into neutral just before I stop but it is getting easier from standstill.