PDA

View Full Version : Slow Puncture!

McMONSTRO
10-02-2004, 07:08 PM
Went out for a short ride on Saturday.....thought bike felt a bit odd! Kicked the tyres and noticed the back was a bit flat...checked the pressure......8lbs ! So up on the paddock stand with it and Ive found what looks like a small thorn smack in the middle of the tread! Ive left it in and pumped it back up, checked it tonight and its dropped by about 4lbs, so what Ive got is a slow puncture!
Question is,
1: Get it fixed with a conventional "patch" on the inside, some have said this is now illegal?
2: Buy some of this "goo" to put into the tyre which should seal the leak, dont know anyone thats tried this, how good is this idea? can anyone recommend a good brand?
3: Buy a new tyre!

Dont really want to get a new tyre as this ones got about 1 1/2 thou left on it and I was planning to replace them both together ( pirelli diablos?) So if anyone can offer any advice Im all ears!

Thanks

McMonstro

CK & AK
10-02-2004, 07:12 PM
Neil, if the 'puncture' is in the main centre part of the tread you can get it plugged by any repair place (use one that does bikes), cos Al did this for me on a 185 mile tyre on my last bike, which then went on to do another 4600 miles.

C

Blufoot
10-02-2004, 07:17 PM
Ive had no problem using plugs before.

Ive used them about 8 times and never had problems with them after using and have gone on to wear the tyres to the thread.

You'll be fine.

Rob
11-02-2004, 11:32 AM
I had my rear tyre plugged just last week, so far it's been fine, feels the same and no pressure drop. It did cost £15 though which i thought was a bit steep.

McMONSTRO
11-02-2004, 04:02 PM
Thanks all :)

Had it plugged today, cost me £15, turned out to be a damm nail, fine now!
Asked about the "goo" stuff while I was there, and apparently its ok for touring and get you home, but if you have to have a tyre repaired they cant do it because you cant get anything to stick to the inside of the tyre!

Got a price on some new rubber too!

Pirelli Diablos, £180pr inc vat, fitting, balance and valves

Dunlop 208s, £170pr inc.............. etc

Dont seem too bad?

Thanks for the advice!

McMonstro (full of air again!)

Pedro
11-02-2004, 09:40 PM
Busters Mail Order are doing D207RRs for £135

Just got some!!

Ped

andrews
12-02-2004, 09:17 AM
iles.co.uk address still reg'd to yer account m8, keep gettin emails tellin me someone has replied to my thread ;)

nik_the_brief
12-02-2004, 10:02 AM
If you're after long term protection from that goo stuff I recommend Ultraseal (look up their website under Google).

It's had great things said about it by many highly respected groups, the US army use it to 'bulletproof' their tyres. It doesn't attack the rubber of your tyres like some of the other Tyreweld type foams and it seals any puntures without you even knowing about it. :burnout: