PDA

View Full Version : Running Costs?

Big Tav
21-04-2015, 09:52 PM
Hi guys, I am thinking of buying either a 999S or A S4R Monster. I am a bit nervous about the running costs though.

What can I reasonably expect to keep a bike up to where it should be? I will be buying a good one so I want to keep it right. I won't be putting more than 2-3,000 miles on it a year.

I heard they can be ruinous if I buy the wrong one. Should I be scared or should I go for it?

pompone
21-04-2015, 10:09 PM
Go for it. Me I like them both but the s4rs is s better all rounder than the T9. They're hard to come by but if properly maintained are not more expensive than other Ducatis

Big Tav
21-04-2015, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the reply. I see you say no more than other Ducatis but what does that mean? Can someone break it down for me so I can factor it into my purchasing decision?

Thanks.

Rascall
21-04-2015, 11:59 PM
Allow £350 + for a small service (3000 miles) and £700 + for a big service (6000 miles) Go to a good independent specializing in Ducati. then factor in tyres and brake pads

Or alternatively buy a nice air cooled two valve 900 for a third of the price and do all the servicing yourself :-)

Russell

pompone
22-04-2015, 06:22 AM
Allow £350 + for a small service (3000 miles) and £700 + for a big service (6000 miles) Go to a good independent specializing in Ducati. then factor in tyres and brake pads

Russell

What he says^^^^^. Nothing stops from servicing it yourself, depending on your mechanical prowess..

Dave G
22-04-2015, 07:52 AM
http://www.ducatiglasgow.co.uk/servicing/how_much_does_it_cost

utopia
22-04-2015, 11:43 AM
I would agree....get a 2-valver and service it yourself.
Apart from the very infrequent need to adjust valve clearances, aircooled monsters are actually one of the easiest bikes ever to work on, despite the Ducati reputation for demanding dealer servicing.
Mine hasn't seen inside a dealer's workshop in 8yrs, which must have saved me a small fortune (and its my first Ducati).
Not sure I'd have been quite so confident with home servicing on a watercooled 4-valver though.
I'd say, if you want high performance, go for either an older 1000ds or a new style 1100s/evo.
Similarly, the single sided swingers look cool but are less diy-friendly due to the need for special tools and high torques.

Capo
22-04-2015, 12:57 PM
Valve clearance/checking on a 4 valve is no more difficult than a 2 valve, just that there are more of them.

No special tools for removing/replacing a single sided rear wheel, only a socket and some grunt. The required torque is just within the range of a 1/2 drive torque wrench. Its not something you do every day, not an issue. Plus you don't have to spend time on chain alignment

There is no comparison in performance, the 4 valve wins hands down.

jerry
23-04-2015, 06:53 PM
i service my S4 and its not a lot more difficut than my M750 ,, but probably takes twice as long .