PDA

View Full Version : New Tyres

Pedro
09-02-2004, 09:39 PM
Hi Folks

just got my new tyres through the post (made a hell of a mess of the letter box) and will have them fitted later this week.

Now for a silly question. As they are covered in mould release agent from manufacturing, has anyone tried to scrub this off prior to fitting? If so, with what? I'd rather spend an hour or two trying this rather than risking it on damp roads. I know they're gonna need some running in time once fitted.

Ped

Bought D207s in the end cos they were cheap!

crust
09-02-2004, 09:42 PM
yup they are.

a quick donut should cure it tho

will impress the neighbours as well ;)

:) Crust

Albie
09-02-2004, 09:50 PM
Pedro it aint worth scrubbing em till you get on the road .Be careful as last week i had a new 207 went to take for mot and just gentle acceleration and it went sideways mate .whoa!! JUST BE VERY AWARE and the front under brakes. I paid 97 fitted for rear and soon im having a 207 RR on the front. bit softer so may wear together i hope

Pedro
09-02-2004, 09:50 PM
Gee, Thanks Simon.:D

I was hoping someone could suggest what will shift release agent! We got some industrial floor cleaner at work for shifting cutting slurry off the tool room floor - perhaps that would work?

Anyone got a scrubbing brush?

Ped:D

crust
09-02-2004, 10:08 PM
gowan,gowan, the neighbours will love it, nows the time :D

not heard of a suitable substance that will definitely not affect the tyre.

I've used wet+dry to rough up the surface with reasonably good results or a quick rub down with a wire brush

:) Crust

spidermonkey
09-02-2004, 10:41 PM
pedro probably want help but if you can get some tyre buff you us before puncture repair takes the silicone of the inside well .
steve

spacemonkey
12-02-2004, 03:22 PM
Don't forget to rub the wet'n'dry all the way to the edge for added hero points!
Then proceed to your nearest kiddie play park in your leathers (don't go in the daytime or you'll surely be given a kicking for being a suspected nonce!!) and boots.
Spin up the roundabout, hang on over the edge and grind those knee sliders/boot edges away!! Don't forget to repeat on the other side.
Watch out for dog****...
When you get home, take a file to the footpegs/exhaust cans etc to simulate road scraping (get the angle right though).

Now proceed to your nearest bike meet and watch as everyone stares in awe at the evidence of your heroic deeds!!

Pedro
12-02-2004, 09:51 PM
The belt sander is much quicker on sliders......

spacemonkey
13-02-2004, 06:48 PM
Good on elbows too..