PDA

View Full Version : Advice and opinions please!

Martin Duke
29-03-2015, 08:24 PM
I am looking at adding another Monster to the garage (I have an S2R 800 and a 999) and have been considering either an 1100S or an Evo 1100 - any views on the best choice?
I really dislike the standard footrest brackets on the 1100 but prefer the exhaust, but don't know if all of the improvement on the Evo are real improvements or not! The abs and traction control are benefits, the suspension probably a retrograde step, the engine changes I'm not sure about - what are the differences I should be weighing up? :gromit:

SunEye
30-03-2015, 01:39 PM
I've owned a M1100 and M1100evo and have ridden over 15,000 miles on each.

My M1100 had carbon Termis and race ECU the evo has O2 eliminators and GPR Powercone exhaust. Both had 14T front sprockets.

In terms of rideability I found the two bikes to be very similar, almost identical in terms of engine performance and handling. The O2 eliminators on the evo give even better low rev performance than the race ECU on the M1100. The amount of torque and power feels very similar to me.

The high level exhausts on the M1100 can cause luggage issues (I've melted things). The low level exhaust on the evo makes luggage attachment easier and cleans up the back end of the bike. When replaced with the GPR it saves a lot of weight.

The ABS and traction control on the evo have probably saved me a few times. I rarely felt like I needed them on the M1100, but I did lock up the front a few times on slippery roads.

Ergonomically I found the evos 20mm higher bar risers uncomfortable so I put ones from an M1100 on it.

I always wanted to remove the ugly M1100 pillion footpeg hangers and fit some rearsets, but never got round to it. I found that my heels rubbed on them. I fitted Oberon footpegs which put your foot about 10mm further out from the bike to help the situation.

On the evo my right heel rubbed against the exhaust heat shield. The GPR exhaust resolved this issue and enabled me to fit Rizoma footpegs that provide a lot more grip than the Ducati ones and a bit more than the Oberon ones.

Yes the suspension on the S will be better, but what's more important is how well it's set up. I had the suspension on my bikes set up by Pro Twins and don't have an issue with the standard suspension, but then I don't ride fast or ride on a track.

I have had issues with the valve clearances and a build up of pressure in the fuel tank on the evo. The fuel tank issue is unique to my bike. The valve clearances issue is not uncommon. The clutch and brakes on the evo have needed bleeding between services, which again is not uncommon apparently.

TBH IMHO neither is perfect without a few modifications. The mods for which bike would cost you more I'm not sure. Either bike would be a good buy. If I hadn't crashed the M1100 I'd still have it, but I was offered a deal on the evo whilst my M1100 was being repaired that was too good to refuse.

Albie
30-03-2015, 03:35 PM
In my opinion having owned an 1100s for over 5 years it really is a nice bike. The suspension is harsh but the 2 plugs per cylinder is better than the EVO.
BUT in my opinion having ridden the EVO its the better all round bike. Good suspension, traction control and ABS, lighter clutch and wet , better looking exhaust routing and more available choice too, 5 more HP.

SteveM900
30-03-2015, 08:03 PM
I had the same thoughts, but decided in the end to go for a M1100S due to the Ohlins, carbon etc.
The ugly footpeg mounts are easy to do away with. I've got Rizoma rearsets, but you can use S2R/S4R footrests which I was originally going to use till Royal Mail lost them. They eventually turned up after buying the Rizomas.
Cheaper to change the footrests on a 1100S than to fit Ohlins and carbon bits to a Evo !
The bend on the original bars is horrible, again replaced with Rizomas. Done some other mods to make it more rideable at town speeds.Now a lovely bike to ride and I prefer the clean. simple lines compared to water cooled Monsters.