29-03-2015, 08:25 PM
S4 ones were.

Pedro
29-03-2015, 08:29 PM
Quick question.
Are they ally ?
I've just nabbed one on ebay.
Its silver, but it may be paint.

be careful as side stands are not all the same! I bought an ally S4R stand for my 1000 but the mounting bracket angle was completely different, bike would've toppled over in use

slob
29-03-2015, 08:33 PM
Yeah, I got a 916 one off eBay for my track bike, its a little shorter: enough to be a slight worry on anything but a very flat surface.
On the plus side: it adds about 1/2" of ground clearance in lefthanders and is 180g lighter than the stock one.

damien666
29-03-2015, 09:23 PM
Mines painted silver from factory. Will have to test it with a magnet.

utopia
29-03-2015, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the replies.
I'm hoping/expecting to modify it anyway, as my bike is raised about 15mm both ends and I already have a "club-foot" on the original stand.
But it definitely does need to be ally, as its all about that 180g saving (I'm not good enough to have needed the extra ground clearance .....yet).
As long as the pivot details are similar it'll be useable.
It has the spring hook on the back, like my original steel one, so I'm guessing that it'll not be too difficult to make it fit.
I intend to use the original steel bracket for now, so the angle there will remain the same, but there's no telling if the stand itself is machined to a different angle.
So I will take care, but thanks for the warning.
Sounds to me like it probably is ally, but I would appreciate the magnet test if its convenient.
I'm just being impatient really. It'll be here in a few days anyway. But, you know how it is when you start hatching a plan.

damien666
30-03-2015, 11:38 AM
Just been out to the bike with a magnet. The side stand is indeed ally :-)

utopia
30-03-2015, 12:00 PM
Yippee.
Thanks for that.
You have just increased my grin factor for today and I can now await the postie with even more childish excitement.

Sirc
30-03-2015, 12:24 PM
saw that on Ebay with 3 mins to go and too late to tell anyone : )

utopia
30-03-2015, 12:35 PM
Excellent.
I was wondering if anyone else from here was bidding.
Its always a quandry, isn't it ?
Does one flag up an interesting item or keep quiet so as not to spoil somebody's individual chances of a bargain ?
I think I got it at a reasonable price though.

Sirc
30-03-2015, 01:49 PM
yes, I have had a dilemma with that at times but usually end up posting it up - I didn't bid as already have one spare - I was after another item seller had listed but that went for too much - there were some other bargains but nothing I needed.

trontastic
19-04-2015, 10:42 AM
It wasnt a gear change lever was it Sirc ?

jerry
19-04-2015, 01:06 PM
side stand on my S4 is Steel

utopia
19-04-2015, 01:35 PM
Actually, although I haven't actually tried fitting it yet, the S4r/rs stand (which IS ally btw) looks as if it could be a direct swap for my original steel stand, with the same design at the pivot end and the same angle of dangle.
The big bonus though is that it also looks to be about 30mm longer than my original stand, which is what I need as the bike is raised both front and rear.
I was planning to get a piece welded in to extend the stand but it looks like I might not have to.
But I'm probably speaking too soon .....I can't actually believe that it will really be that simple and I expect there will be some issues when I eventually do try to fit it, but so far the signs are very promising.