PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket exhaust

Witchellski
27-03-2015, 07:35 PM
I have just fitted a carbon exhaust to a '99 750 monster and it is running a little rich... I assumed it would actually run leaner, as it was a bit rich on its standard cans.

Anyone else had this experience?

bluestoesonnose
27-03-2015, 07:39 PM
Our 2001 M750 wasn't affected by a change to a Termi race pipe. Still seems as good as it did on the std cans. You've got a new air filter and the correct plugs?

Witchellski
27-03-2015, 08:00 PM
I've not made any other changes to fuel / air system, just new slip ons. Did you go for an open airbox?

Mr Gazza
28-03-2015, 10:06 AM
You are clouding a carburetor issue under the heading of "exhausts".

The mixture is rich with either silencers. So the Carbs are probably due for a tune up.

However, as Blues tried to say, you need to make sure the air filter is clean or preferably, new, and also that the spark plugs are clean and adjusted...Or new.

The above would be a logical precursor to a carb tune in any case, but on thier own may make a big difference. especially as, in poor condition they may cause the mixture to be rich, by restricting air and then failing to ignite it properly.

Fitting an open air box is not the answer to the mixture issue. It would make a change which would require an adjustment to make it run properly. So if you are planning to make this mod' anyway, make it part of a complete carb tune up.

bluestoesonnose
28-03-2015, 10:47 AM
Nope not fitted an open air box (yet). I have one and the bike runs very lean without a stage two Dynojet kit on it, to the point it won't pull above 4500 rpm. Sounds like the bike needs some TLC before you dive in problem solving, the M750 with the floats set and carbs ultrasonically cleaned and the synced made a huge difference to the way it ran

Flip
28-03-2015, 11:21 AM
Don't forget to get the fuelling and carbs balanced correctly you will need to ensure the valve clearances are within spec too.

Witchellski
30-03-2015, 11:46 AM
Thanks for all the feedback.... I'll check plugs and air filter, before digging into the Carbs. Will report back if there are any major improvements.

W