PDA

View Full Version : Removal & Fitting Footrest Hangers

TonyG
24-03-2015, 12:23 PM
Hello,

I've been told by a very reputable dealer that it could take 2.5 hours to remove my 2009 M1100 footrest hangers and replace with another standard set I have in a much nicer colour than the light grey originals. They have said if it takes less they will charge less and I trust that will be the case, so I have no worries with the dealer. I'm just wondering if I should bother, I got some secondhand hangers for a very good price, and have paid to have them blasted and painted, but if it really takes 2.5 hours then I'm not sure it is worth the price, will it really take that long?

Cheers

Wildfire
24-03-2015, 12:29 PM
Doesn't look too complicated, although I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong. Perhaps they are taking into account time if a bolt is stuck? Could you not just take them off yourself?

J.P
24-03-2015, 12:36 PM
If you have the right sockets and alan keys it would probably take you less than an hour doing it yourself. You have to reattach all the pieces but that isn't that bad. I can't see it's worth the cost of having a dealer do it.

Darren69
24-03-2015, 01:15 PM
You're probably paying for their tea/lunch/fag breaks too! If its a like for like swap and you have the necessary tools, have a go

jonzi
24-03-2015, 01:16 PM
You are more than welcome to bring the bike to mine and I'll give you a hand.

I can't see it taking that long.

monsta-696
24-03-2015, 01:49 PM
I done the same thing over the winter there, around an Hour should do it mate tbh, the Tricky part is the return spring on the rear brake, the rest is dead handy! ;)

pegboy
24-03-2015, 02:08 PM
They are probably charging you the book price, what is the recommended time to change and charge, which is always way longer than an experienced mechanic can do it in.

TonyG
24-03-2015, 06:04 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

I probably should have a go myself, I used to do all my own work but in recent years have sort of lost my confidence for some reason, or maybe I've just got lazy. Jonzi, thanks for the kind offer again, I may take you up on it.

The dealer did quote a worst case, and may have assumed they needed to swap out the bushes as well. I believe they would only charge as long as it actually takes.

Cheers all

don_matese
25-03-2015, 06:26 AM
those footrest hangar bolts can be a nightmare! one of mine was seized and ended up snapping an allen key head in it.