PDA

View Full Version : 900 Forks on to an M600 - Refurbish

Wildfire
24-03-2015, 07:59 AM
In an effort not to buy a 900 due to funds, I have managed to get a pair of 2001 900 forks off a Monster. They haven't arrived yet, but from the pictures they look straight and are adjustable.

Few of questions to those who have upgraded or done suspension work on their Showa forks:

I'm assuming these will be a decent upgrade from my M600 forks and they should go straight on? my M600 is 2001 with the bigger spindle and later type fender/mudguard.

What should (within a decent budget) I look to do to the forks before fitting?

Any idea what settings (once I get them on) should I start with?

I'm aiming for a bit of a Monster refresh this year:

New Carbs + DJ Kit - as mine are all seized
Adjustable suspension - I feel that the front just lets the bike down
Factory Racing Clutch Slave Cylinder
Clip Ons + new grips and bar ends
S&P Rear Sets
Paint the engine
Secure the rear pipes properly
Basic Service

I'm hoping that once I get the forks on that will be the last of it for a while....

Kato
24-03-2015, 08:30 AM
In an effort not to buy a 900 due to funds, I have managed to get a pair of 2001 900 forks off a Monster. They haven't arrived yet, but from the pictures they look straight and are adjustable.

Few of questions to those who have upgraded or done suspension work on their Showa forks:

[LIST]
I'm assuming these will be a decent upgrade from my M600 forks and they should go straight on? my M600 is 2001 with the bigger spindle and later type fender/mudguard.
They will go straight in

What should (within a decent budget) I look to do to the forks before fitting? Change the Oil

Any idea what settings (once I get them on) should I start with? Set up as per standard and try it, there is no one setting that fits all

Answers above ........

Then read this

http://www.avantiraceparts.co.uk/page.php?id=20

Wildfire
24-03-2015, 10:06 AM
Cheers. I shall do those when they arrive. Although I am really tempted to ship them off to Reactive Suspension....

slob
24-03-2015, 11:17 AM
...I am really tempted to ship them off to Reactive Suspension....

Buying a 900 might have been cheaper :-O

Wildfire
24-03-2015, 11:38 AM
Buying a 900 might have been cheaper :-O

Don't say that! Upgrades I can justify, a new bike...