PDA

View Full Version : Front brakeline

squarehead
23-03-2015, 11:48 AM
OEM layout or twin lines and why?

Ta muchly.

jonzi
23-03-2015, 12:06 PM
To race you have to have twin lines or ones where the split is above the yoke.

I believe this is incase one side is ripped off, you will still have some braking.

On the road? probably doesn't matter that much.

Darren69
23-03-2015, 12:15 PM
If you're going to fit clip ons or raise the height of the standard bars then I would go with 2 lines as the standard setup doesn't fit very well in a lower position, the splitter is in the wrong place, so it probably wouldn't fit higher either.

utopia
23-03-2015, 01:39 PM
To race you have to have twin lines or ones where the split is above the yoke.
I believe this is incase one side is ripped off, you will still have some braking.

I can't see how that would work.
Surely you'd still have no braking.
The fluid would all just dump via the path of least resistance.

I could perhaps understand that single lines would eliminate the chance of a leak at the junction between the two, so there might be less chance of failure than with single lines with no join.
And if there was a MINOR leak in one line, the other would still function to some extent.
But it hardly seems like a point worth pursuing.
Maybe I'm missing something though ?

slob
23-03-2015, 01:42 PM
I believe this is in case one side is ripped off, you will still have some braking.
Maybe I'm getting old but this makes no sense to me. The pressure is evenly spread through the system, wherever the split is. If you create a leak anywhere, fluid pressure is lost.

If you're going to fit clip ons... ...then I would go with 2 lines
I had hours of fun getting a double banjo-bolt to clear my front r/h indicator when I fitted clip-ons. I prefer the dual line setup but it isn't necessarily going to be plain sailing, change one thing and you can start a 'domino effect' of modifications

jonzi
23-03-2015, 01:46 PM
Pretty sure that was what I was told. Regardless thems the ACU rules.

I have also thought about this recently, but have no idea.

I can experiment, if I remember, as I will need to change the fluid on my race bike.

I'll take the banjo off on one caliper and pull the lever.

Maybe I'm getting old

Correct.

jonzi
23-03-2015, 01:49 PM
Actually reading up, it might be that the ACU have this rule to stop over the mudguard type lines.

Presumably, if the mud guard pings off it could potentially, maybe, perhaps pull or break the brake line?

I had a mudguard ping off braking for the left hander at the end of the back straight at Snetterton once.

Had a flash of red past my eyes, thought I'd popped an eyeball.

jonzi
23-03-2015, 01:51 PM
OR.....

the mudguard pings off and the brake line over the wheel rubs on the tyre making a hole and thus no brakes.

See, all it needed was a bit of lateral thinking.

Darren69
23-03-2015, 01:54 PM
I've got risers on my clip ons so I don't think they are that close to the indicator, but I 'll check that a double banjo will fit. Thanks for the heads up, but yea you change one thing and something else needs changing. I think I'm near the end of that cycle now, at least with the front end.

slob
23-03-2015, 01:59 PM
If one line got folded over hard enough to stop fluid flowing, the other would still work. However under these circumstances, you'd have a greater set of problems.

utopia
23-03-2015, 02:13 PM
OR.....
the mudguard pings off and the brake line over the wheel rubs on the tyre making a hole and thus no brakes.
See, all it needed was a bit of lateral thinking.

That sounds much more feasible.

...damn, and lateral thinking is usually one of my favourite things. :rolleyes:

squarehead
23-03-2015, 02:16 PM
I've got a Rizoma top yoke 'clip on' set up that sets the bars a little lower than standard, I'm a sucker for machined aluminium:

http://s5.postimg.org/67eeo3sc3/DSC_0923.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/67eeo3sc3/)

And I've subsequently fitted the lines through the screen mount bracket:

http://s5.postimg.org/wltl5ppv7/DSC_0925_1_1.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/wltl5ppv7/)

Lots of replies! I think I'll go for an OEM type set up and run the lines as is. The 'T' piece will be mounted above the bottom yoke. I wanted to understand why a race set up has two seperate lines, so thank-you all.

Flip
23-03-2015, 04:21 PM
I have often wondered why the ACU insist on two lines running direct too but always assumed it was that way so there were only three places for the Scrutineers (or Technical Control as it's now known) to check for leaks etc. and so that all bikes were the same eliminating the need for them to ask/search/remove bits in order ensure the brakes are safe.

Is it possible that two direct lines will give a slightly different feel when there is no splitter?

Either way, I prefer the twin line set up as it is a lot cleaner looking and one other thing worth bearing in mind is that is usually a bit cheaper as you only need two lines, two single and one double banjo bolt.

slob
23-03-2015, 05:08 PM
...always assumed it was that way so there were only three places for the Scrutineers (or Technical Control as it's now known) to check for leaks etc. and so that all bikes were the same eliminating the need for them to ask/search/remove bits in order ensure the brakes are safe....

utterly plausible, makes perfect sense