PDA

View Full Version : Rear shock preload spanner

don_matese
18-03-2015, 08:54 AM
Is this the right tool (size not acceptability) for adjusting preload on my rear shock (std showa I think) http://www.amazon.co.uk/SHOCK-WRENCH-UNIVERSAL-SMALL-38-45MM/dp/B001ASRW1Q/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=15MKDAMDFHJFZ2YEB56N (http://www.amazon.co.uk/SHOCK-WRENCH-UNIVERSAL-SMALL-38-45MM/dp/B001ASRW1Q/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=15MKDAMDFHJFZ2YEB56N) Doesn't need to last any longer than adjusting the preload once (when I fit the thing to the bike this weekend).

utopia
18-03-2015, 09:52 AM
I wouldn't use a spanner at all.
Before I changed to a different shock, I used to use a hammer and a short length of 10mm aluminium bar as a soft drift.
This is a much more effective tool for initially loosening (and subsequently retightening) the two locking ringnuts, and I found it an easier tool to use for the actual adjustment too, particularly when the shock was already fitted.
With even a small amount of care, you're much less likely to damage the lockrings this way too.
Or your knuckles, for that matter.

I believe std preload is 20mm.

Mr Gazza
18-03-2015, 04:30 PM
That double ender is too small for a mono-shock, it;s for twin shocks I would imagine.

It just so happens that I have a pair of brand new un-used C-spanners, of rather good quality, going spare.

The sensible thing to do is to use a pair. It's much easier to unlock the rings, adjust and then re-lock with two.

You can have them for £6.50 posted..:mand:

don_matese
19-03-2015, 05:54 AM
If you could keep the spanners for a week or so for me, I'll send you the cash by paypal. PM me your details.

jerry
19-03-2015, 09:34 AM
I have several C spanners of various shapes and sizes but often there is not enough clearance to use them , and i resort to an aluminium drift and a hammer to lossen and tighten the rings on the shocks ,

Mr Gazza
19-03-2015, 05:15 PM
No worries Don..Pm coming your way.

I found that just slipping off the right hand teardrop side panel gave enough room to operate. removing both would give a bit more I imagine.
Lift the tank so you can see what you're doing too.

don_matese
19-03-2015, 06:16 PM
Well the shock is a new one to be fitted so I can likely adjust the preload before I put it on the bike (much easier that way) - According to Ducati Suite the default is 165mm spring length, mine is a bit shorter at 160mm so I think it will be fine as is but I'd rather get the tools for when I do need to adjust it.