PDA

View Full Version : carbon front mudguard

Mark64
15-03-2015, 12:35 AM
Hi Guys, my carbon front mudguard (standard on the s4r) is looking tired - I took it to a painter with the aim of 'refreshing' it ie a coat of clear laquer but apparently it's too late for that, it looks like a prior owner has rubbed it down into the weave so I need a new one but Ducati don't make them anymore:hissy:
any ideas - I would prefer a standard looking one if possible or is there an alternative that will fit my bike.

bluestoesonnose
15-03-2015, 04:20 AM
Would suggest talking to a different painter or having a go yourself. Unless the weave is broken then you should be able to get it back with some time and patience. That said they come up on ebay quite a lot so keep you eye out for one.

DrD
15-03-2015, 05:59 AM
A few threads on here (search UPoL) eg http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=49093&highlight=upol
Got to be worth a try using fine wet and dry and UPol 0.

Dave G
15-03-2015, 07:47 AM
Or you could paint it,or at least part of it with just a cheeky hint of carbon weave showing here or there.

jerry
15-03-2015, 09:53 AM
i have restored Carbon bits , wipe down first with thinners then wet and dry using fine 1200 paper , or even 1600 , then cleanit again with thinners and the use UPOL clear laquer , a few coats but let it dry between coats and finally polich with wax afterwards ,usually looks good again for another few years , its UV light that buggers the color on carbon

Mr Gazza
15-03-2015, 05:31 PM
Don't take any notice of someone who says it's been rubbed through the weave.

My rear hugger had a low in it that had been rubbed in by a badly fitted high level silencer.
It had rubbed nearly half way through the weave.
I softened the edges with further rubbing using wet-n-dry.

It lacquered over a treat just like the rest of the carbon. Yes you can see the weave change where the hollow is but the weave is perfectly fine within it.

Your biggest problem will be the pinholes in the surface...Just takes a lot of coats to fill them. I found brushing the lacquer did that better than spraying. Once filled I then sprayed the last coats.

Dookbob
15-03-2015, 06:52 PM
The first guy you talked to obviously didn,t want the job, or didn,t know how to tackle it. The moral is, " always come to the UKMOC for advice first ". This club is a vertual mine of information which the members are happy to share with you.

Mark64
16-03-2015, 06:42 PM
Thanks for the replies, I can assure you the painter I spoke to was way more than capable of doing the job (he's the ONLY painter cornerspeed use!) and I value his opinion, thanks for the advice - I will tackle it myself at a later date.
Cheers - Mark:thumbsup:

Mr Gazza
16-03-2015, 07:03 PM
Just realised that you are not too far from a very old freind of mine and very experienced motorcycle refinisher, who has just set up in new premises near Oakham, Rutland.

I will find out his new contact details and forward them to you.

Mr Gazza
09-04-2015, 04:57 PM
Just realised that you are not too far from a very old freind of mine and very experienced motorcycle refinisher, who has just set up in new premises near Oakham, Rutland.

I will find out his new contact details and forward them to you.

A sprayer of about thirty years experience, he also went into motorcycle tuning and founded 2Brothers Motorcycles in Andover.
Recently moved to Rutland following a new interest and is back in a new spraying facility.

Speak to Colin on 07717771763