PDA

View Full Version : Fitting Brembo P34 999 SBK 4 pad calipers on S4

Darren69
08-03-2015, 12:50 PM
Has anyone done the above mod on their bike? I've been told its a popular mod with the DD racers. I'm wanting information on brake lines to use,length, fittings etc or if something is available off the shelf for another model perhaps. I really want 2 full lines and not the 1.5 line SBK setup.

Thanks

chris.p
08-03-2015, 01:45 PM
Take a run down to B&C Express near Lincoln, they will sort you out bespoke Hel Lines for, only during the week though as they do not open on Saturday's any more, to get the best out of the calipers, get hold of a radial brake mastercylinder and lever, anyone from a newer Ducati model should be fine.

Darren69
08-03-2015, 03:31 PM
Thanks, I've been on the lookout for some radial masters for quite a while now, even the type from 749/999 but either type are just a bit out of budget for now or I just miss out on them for a few quid. Thanks for the heads up on B&C, will they be able to make some without taking the bike over do you think?

chris.p
08-03-2015, 03:48 PM
As long as you give them the lengths and which type/angle of bango you need.

Dukedesmo
08-03-2015, 03:57 PM
Both my bikes have forks/brakes/master cylinders that required new lines, I bought Goodridge 'build-a-line' fittings and hoses.

The hoses screw into the fittings and are available in (IIRC) 10cm increments so you can get the exact length you want with the fittings you want and because they screw-in you don't need to worry about the angle of the fitting being wrong.

All stainless fittings and the quality is top-notch. :thumbsup:

stopintime
08-03-2015, 07:06 PM
Those calipers aren't that much better than the ones you have - a bit more initial bite because of the four pads' double number of leading edges, but not more power in total.

With more initial bite comes a greater need for better suspension - and so on...

Maybe a better (radial) master will be noticeable, but IME only worth it if you get it cheap.
I went with radial master from a 16mm coffin and wasn't very impressed...

My own WOW experience came with sintered Brembo HH pads and full floating discs.

I change fluid several times a year. That helps a lot too.

Darren69
08-03-2015, 08:37 PM
Yea I have some full floating brembo disks to go on with the calipers. I'm not really after more powerful brakes per se, just a bit more feel and a bit better quality kit.

Pedro
08-03-2015, 08:47 PM
Four pad calipers and a radial master is a mega setup, had this on my 1000, never needed more than two fingers to brake hard, tyre chirping power!!

slob
09-03-2015, 06:20 AM
Agree, much more initial bite, the centre web/bolt makes the caliper body much more rigid.
I have 999 calipers on one of my bikes. Everything else is (was) stock apart from home made Goodridge lines (as DD describes). I just bought a reel of hose and cut it to length myself.
I have since changed disks due to high milage on the originals. 4 pads are twice as expensive to replace but they seem to last well.

Darren69
09-03-2015, 09:30 AM
Couple of things:-

Did you use the clear plastic coated type lines AN3?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-JIC-3-1-8-I-D-Stainless-Braided-Clear-PVC-Coated-Teflon-Brake-Hose-1m-/360933510457?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5409504d39

The Goodridge Buildaline lines are they plastic coated also and can they be cut shorter if required?

I've made lines before with screw fittings but never used the plastic coated type or Buildaline and I would prefer the plastic coated type.

Thanks

Dukedesmo
09-03-2015, 10:25 AM
The Goodridge Buildaline lines are they plastic coated also and can they be cut shorter if required?

They are plastic coated (over the braiding).

The ends are fitted on when you buy them, I suppose you could cut them off and fit a new one but the whole point of them is to get it just the right length and avoid fitting new ends for which you would need the correct tool and know-how. There is a lot of pressure in a braking system and failure may be a one-time life/death situation so you want to be sure the fitting is good! :eyepopping:

Buying a roll of hose and fitting the ends should be cheaper but I went for the easy/safe option; http://goodridge.brakes-hoses-fittings.co.uk

Zimbo
09-03-2015, 03:56 PM
I'd fit the full floating discs, keep the Brembo Goldline calipers AND master cylinder, retaining all your existing hoses and fittings, and fit a good set of pads. I used full floater discs with Performance Friction pads, standard calipers and a 916 type master cylinder on my last DD bike and it was awesome, two finger braking without fade and loads of "feel".
Pad selection, I currently favour Bendix but have used Performance friction and Carbon Lorraine SBK pads in the past and been very happy. EBC HH pads personally I found were prone to fade when hot and quite expensive.