PDA

View Full Version : 1100 evo battery space

MerlinPV12
23-02-2015, 09:03 AM
I'm looking to replace the stock battery on my evo with a Shido LT14B/BS. Its 15mm taller than the stock Yuasa does anyone know if there is 15mm clearance above the battery compartment to take a taller battery? I had a look at the service manual and it doesn't give much away, other than it looks a bit snug! thanks

Cobra88
23-02-2015, 10:06 AM
Hi Merlin

I can just get my Charging cable fuse between battery and tank

that's 8mm

Regards
Rick

MerlinPV12
23-02-2015, 11:04 AM
Thanks Rick - I thought it would be tight!

J.P
23-02-2015, 11:12 AM
Why aren't you just buying a direct replacement rather than one that's bigger ?

If the battery has lost its juice, then a replacement will last for years, and I'm told lithium batteries are great too.

Dirty
23-02-2015, 12:04 PM
The Shido Merlin mentions is a lithium battery. They can come up a bit tall sometimes due to the electronic magic beans they put on top to help with charging etc. In general though they are dimensionally smaller than conventional batterys.

Dirty
23-02-2015, 12:07 PM
From looking at the sheet I think the 12B/BS is the stock replacement?

Aviatore
23-02-2015, 01:39 PM
From looking at the sheet I think the 12B/BS is the stock replacement?

Yes it is, stock from Yuasa: http://www.yuasa.co.uk

Battery Family: Maintenance Free
Battery Type: YT12B-BS

Voltage: 12
Capacity: 10
Dimensions: 6" x 2.75" x 5.125"
Weight: 7.6 lbs.
Metric Dimensions: 150mm x 69.0mm x 130.0mm
Metric Weight: 3.4 kg
Polarity:
Acid Volume: 0.50
Amps: 1.0
C.C.A.: 215

Shido says their LT12B/BS LION is the direct replacement (page 21)
http://www.shido-batteries.com/html/downloads/shido_appl_2013.pdf

Dimensions check with the Shido data sheet (#9 down)
http://www.shido-batteries.com/html/data-sheet/index.html

Looks like a great product to me, more cca, at 1/3rd the weight... Shido says its a simple drop in replacement so I can only assume they solved the interface issues for motorcycles. I thought that that lion batteries didn't like heat and standard battery chargers/systems... that whole explosion risk thing because the battery couldn't handle the older power input and temperature fluctuations.

Dirty
23-02-2015, 02:10 PM
I think the magic electronics in the top of most Lion batts deals with the charge from the bike and a lot of them can be charged with normal chargers as well. Not sure if they've fixed the 'leaving them in a cold garage over winter' problems yet.

BigOz
23-02-2015, 05:26 PM
They generally have less capacity than the equivalent Lead acid battery so even a minor drain like an alarm or immobiliser will discharge them over a period standing but the cells have very little self discharge so if disconnected will sit through a winter.

Avoid Litium Ion and Lithium Polymer based batteries as they both have thermal runaway issues, the Shido are Litium Iron Phosphate LiFePO4 sometimes just called LiFe cells and these are much safer.

Dirty
23-02-2015, 05:54 PM
Ah nice one Big Oz, thanks for that.

MerlinPV12
23-02-2015, 07:18 PM
Thanks for confirming the research I've done Big Oz, from what I have read the Shido come out with probably the best reputation that I've seen. I'm giving the Shido a go as I've now had 2 Yuasa let me down. I dont think the Yuasa are a bad battery, I think I may have just been unlucky, so reckon on giving another make a go. I was just being greedy to see if I could fit the bigger version, no matter, I'll give the stock replacement a go. Before I do I'll check to see if I have an unusual drain, but I dont think so.. I'll post as to how I get on with the Shido, thanks all

BigOz
24-02-2015, 11:14 AM
I've been running a Shorai for about 2 years and only had issues with a terminal screw coming loose because I didn't tighten it enough and a couple of occasions where the charge was low after sitting for a while with an alarm and Immobiliser draining the charge.

With the Shorai you need to avoid chargers with a de-Sulphate feature but it doesn't have the protection circuit the Shido has I use the Shorai charger that uses a balance port to access the cells individually.

I'd be interested to hear how you get on.

Andy