PDA

View Full Version : CSS lev 1 / which track

ercasa
10-02-2015, 10:55 AM
Hi All

I received a CSS level 1 voucher for my bday and now in process of finalising date & location - am superexcited for what will be my 1st trackday! :flag::biggrin:

Questions to you all fellow Monster owners:
- which track is better from a newbie / monster standpoint? I am looking at doing it with my 696 on Pilot road 4
- Options: Silverstone Stowe, Silverstone National, Brands Hatch, Cadwell Park
- Any trackday insurance you can recommend?
- Anyone already planning to attend one of the sessions?
- any other tips / things to do before are super appreciated

full calendar:
24-Apr Silverstone Stowe
25-Apr Silverstone Stowe
14-May Silverstone Stowe
15-May Silverstone Stowe
27-May Brands Hatch
28-May Brands Hatch
15-Jun Silverstone Stowe
16-Jun Silverstone Stowe
29-Jun Cadwell park
30-Jun Cadwell park
16-Jul Silverstone Stowe
17-Jul Silverstone Stowe
21-Aug Silverstone National
14-Sep Silverstone Stowe
15-Sep Silverstone Stowe

J.P
10-02-2015, 11:30 AM
Well, I've done 4 of their days.
IT IS NOT A TRACKDAY. IT'S NOT ABOUT GOING FAST AT LEVEL 1.
So, Silverstone's Stowe circuit if small with plenty of corners to practice on. It's about cornering technique so that helps.

Obviously Brands is closer to you but the ups and down's I think if you've never done one before , or not been on Many trackdays, Stowe is a very good one.

bex
10-02-2015, 12:24 PM
I wouldn't go back to Stowe, but I didn't mind it at the time. I'd vote Brands or Silverstone National.

jonzi
10-02-2015, 01:08 PM
Brands.

Going down paddock hill is a bit of a giggle.

Rascall
10-02-2015, 01:39 PM
Brands hatch - great circuit and close by
Cadwell Park - great circuit not so close

Silverstone never been but the stowe circuit looks a bit small and short, if you chose this it would have to be on the National

Everyone should experience paddock hill bend - just remember to brace your neck at the bottom of the dip or you will head butt the tank.

Just my 2p

Russell

pegboy
10-02-2015, 02:03 PM
15th May Silverstone with me?? I have booked already

ercasa
10-02-2015, 06:17 PM
@all - thank you for the tips

@paolo - agh 15 i cannot make, i am at a stag do...:mand::booze::booze:

Dirty
10-02-2015, 06:20 PM
Personally I'd chose Brands, for a number of reasons. It's close being a good one and therefore should you get the track bug and want to go back for a track day it's very handy.

gary tompkins
10-02-2015, 10:50 PM
Do CSS allow you to train on your own bike - or do you have to use their loaners?

Using loaned bikes is not an option for me for obvious reasons

J.P
11-02-2015, 06:54 AM
You use your own bike Gary. But you can hire one of their's if you wanted.

Zimbo
11-02-2015, 12:37 PM
I'd do Brands.

gary tompkins
11-02-2015, 07:57 PM
You use your own bike Gary. But you can hire one of their's if you wanted.

cheers justin

I'll look into doing a CSS session at brands later this year

LouSCannon
12-02-2015, 09:28 AM
I'm booked to do my level 2 at Silverstone on the 14th May.

bex
12-02-2015, 11:27 AM
Level 2 @ Brands Hatch Indy 28th May (Thursday).

andrewinuk
14-02-2015, 12:39 PM
Brands. Simple circuit compared to most so you can concentrate on the lessons, not worrying about where to go!

But the reality is where ever you go you'll have a great day and learn heaps.

TonyM1100
15-02-2015, 09:06 PM
Booked the level one for 28th May at Brands too. Looking forward to it.

gary tompkins
24-02-2015, 08:28 PM
I'm also booked in at Brands for CSS level 1 on the 28th of May

BigOz
25-02-2015, 07:10 AM
As JP said you won't be lapping fast especially at the start of the day.
A circuit with corners close together is what you want, Brands Indy or Silverstone Stowe are good choices lots of corners and short mean lots time in the corners and more practice.

J.P
25-02-2015, 08:23 AM
For level 1, you'll be doing almost the entire day in 3rd gear & with no brakes. The principle is that if you remove the need to change gear and brake, all you have left to do is concentrate on the corner. It's a very sensible process.

bex
25-02-2015, 07:16 PM
Unless of course you're on a 2 stroke in which case Stowe is annoying and I spent half the time between first and second, and a little bit on my head.

LouSCannon
27-02-2015, 07:22 AM
What's lvl 2 like JP?

J.P
27-02-2015, 07:54 AM
Definitely an improvement. Of the three levels I've done, Level 2 was the biggest gain.
More about track positioning and apex hittting.

andrewinuk
27-02-2015, 11:44 AM
I've done two levels and I got the most from Level 1.

Totally transformed my riding. Level 2 was almost as awesome but I guess that I was buggering up the skills from Level 1 more :-)

So I'm thinking that depending on your riding's strengths / weaknesses, either level could be "the one" that makes the big difference....... but both levels are awesome.

Enjoy!!

ercasa
27-02-2015, 12:49 PM
I wish i could pick Brands date, but due to prior committments i will go on June 15 at Silverstone Stowe - hope to find another monster or two ;)

pegboy
27-02-2015, 02:10 PM
I may be doing level 2 also, will see how level 1 goes and then see. If I do will keep June 15th in mind

slob
27-02-2015, 03:20 PM
I know one racer who said he got slower for a couple of months after css because it took his brain a while to unscramble all the stuff he'd learned.

Dirty
27-02-2015, 03:39 PM
That's often true. A mate of mine was a track instructor years ago, worked for Lotus among others. He said people often hit a wall in terms of outright speed then went for instruction. You have to unteach them first. They then get faster using the new skills learnt. I'd presume its the same on 2 wheels as on 4.

Stinger101
27-02-2015, 03:56 PM
Check with the CSS that you have appropriate clothing. I've done up to L3 & an instructor assessment level, some more than once as refreshers. I can't remember if you need full length zips if you wear two piece leathers or textile's.
Tips: Do not eat a large meal at lunchtime, nibble throughout the day. Drink water throughout the day. Go with an open mind & LISTEN to the instructors. Believe what they tell you & have faith.
4Counties are reliable for trackday insurance. 01480 700125 I use them for my foreign track day trips too.
Lastly, enjoy!
PS Brands indy. (That's where I'll be thrashing around tomorrow)

jonzi
27-02-2015, 04:05 PM
... LISTEN to the instructors. Believe what they tell you & have faith...

It was the instructor that wanted to listen to me. All questions about this and that.

I have instruction with lots of other people since doing CSS and realise that I just don't like Keith Codes delivery method.

for my £400 I want to be told what am I doing wrong, not muck about with silly questions to get me to think.

But I guess that's just the way I learn things.

If I do instruction again in the UK, my money will be going to someone like Mike 'spike' Edwards.

Stinger101
27-02-2015, 04:16 PM
It was the instructor that wanted to listen to me. All questions about this and that.

I have instruction with lots of other people since doing CSS and realise that I just don't like Keith Codes delivery method.

for my £400 I want to be told what am I doing wrong, not muck about with silly questions to get me to think.

But I guess that's just the way I learn things.

If I do instruction again in the UK, my money will be going to someone like Mike 'spike' Edwards.
Agree with you Jonzi to a point, for a first timer, believe & have faith in the instructor is paramount. I've had lots of instruction too, over many years & styles. Infact some of the most difficult to comprehend is when Jeremy McWilliams & Simon Crafar told me to forget all my CSS lines & techniques. I thought WHAT?? Still, What do they know....
Spike Edwards comes very highly rated also. Was thinking about him too at some point.