PDA

View Full Version : s2r 800 rear shock. sorry yes again.

convict
05-02-2015, 12:43 AM
sorry to redo an old thread but I still have the same problems as looked at long ago. the sachs rear shock on the s2r800 is weak and you cannot rebuild them. the spring is rated for lightweights and even full setting it still wallows in the corners under my 210 lb butt.
I like to ride quick but this will never be a track bike so trying to stay on budget. my mechanic thought maybe another bike might have a shock that will work but the space is very limited under the seat. does anyone have any specific bikes that have a shock to swap in that I might find used online.
thanks

Flip
05-02-2015, 02:43 AM
I think you have already hit the nail on the head so to speak with the word 'budget'.

You already have what is in effect a budget item and have come up with the problem that affects them all- very little scope to improve them.

So it all boils down to things like how long do you intend on keeping the bike, how much do you really want to improve it?
Bare in mind that sorting the rear out will likely show up the weaknesses that are inherent with the front also.

I think you will be lucky to find anything second hand unless you come across a bike being broken and I am not sure how 'model specific' the S2R part is (I presume the same as an S4R?).

So if you plan on keeping it I would go for something like a Nitron (I, along with many others here have one and am over the Moon with it):

http://www.nitron.co.uk/catalogue_item.php?catID=12437&prodID=74014

Or for a little less money you could try a Hagon although the materials used are of a lower quality in my opinion (worth noting they list it as fitting the ST2/3/4 as well as an MV Augusta F4 so maybe worth investigating those fitments):

http://www.hagon-shocks.co.uk/catalog/partdetail.aspx?partno=M60036

bluestoesonnose
05-02-2015, 05:14 AM
I think the shocks from the ST bikes fit, a noted expert will advise I'm sure

slob
05-02-2015, 05:28 AM
if you ride with a passenger regularly i recon a remote preload adjuster is well worth considering as not having to get the spanners out for relatively large weight changes is a huge convenience. obviously it adds expense to (already) higher end kit.
http://www.racelab.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/a/d/adj_s_4.jpg

basic st shock should be fine but be careful if the shock has a piggyback reservoir as while the mounts/length are the same, the rear subframe of an s2 is different and may have clearance issues, again this only applies to the slightly more expensive stuff.
http://www.fz09.org/forum/attachments/10012d1412370471-penske-piggyback-reservoir-8983pb.jpg

Gilps
05-02-2015, 08:48 AM
From memory, I don't think an S4R shock will fit. I think it has a remote reservoir and the frame or swing arm is ever so slightly different to accommodate it, and the S2R doesn't have the same mod. Nitron is deffo the way to go.

Albie
05-02-2015, 09:47 AM
From memory, I don't think an S4R shock will fit. I think it has a remote reservoir and the frame or swing arm is ever so slightly different to accommodate it, and the S2R doesn't have the same mod. Nitron is deffo the way to go.

S4r shock will fit IF the frame on the left side has been factory pressed with the recess. Not sure if ALL the S2/4 frames would have been done. I had to get a recess cut and welded for clearance when I put one on the s4 to s4r conversion.

Funkatronic
05-02-2015, 11:37 AM
if you want new then Nitron or Wilbers are good value, you could also speak to Maxton about their NR4 shock

i think 999 ohlins shock fits if you are happy to relocate the coil and mounting bracket, stafford did this

ST4S ohlins shock fits
only issue is the compression canister hose is short therefore its not so easy to find a good place to mount it without getting longer hose put on (which means paying someone to re-gass it)

i think i have a very nice ST4s shock with hydraulic preload adjuster in my parts cave. PM me if you are interested

convict
05-02-2015, 10:31 PM
thanks for all the comments

" The S2R uses a frame which is practically identical to that of the 800 i.e. version, except for a few details. It was not possible to use the frame of the S4R due to the different routing of the intake ducts."

good question posed about length of ownership. well depends on who you ask. my wife says if i upgrade the front and back then the answer is forever or i have to sell my bonneville too. I, on the other hand, have been thinking a streetfigher may be in my future, really depends on the level of improvement. again monetary restraints prevent a new front end but springs and oil are on the to do list.

as for the need for improvements, very keen on matching my bike to my usual pace. the bonnie is for puttputting about.

thanks again. any ideas are welcome

convict
05-06-2015, 01:13 AM
i still have not taken care of the front end
but fit a new used 999 shock in back and in one word
planted