PDA

View Full Version : M600 & M750 front forks.

iev
04-02-2015, 11:57 AM
Am I correct are the Monster 600 and 750 front forks the same size? Basically can I take parts off an M600 forks to replace the parts on my 750. Thanks.

Funkatronic
04-02-2015, 11:59 AM
they will not necessarily contain the same components
but they will swap out entirely

iev
04-02-2015, 12:08 PM
It's just the gold tube that needs replacing on my 750, that need to be the same size on both. So I can swap.

Darren69
04-02-2015, 12:44 PM
Some are Showa and some maybe Marzocchi so they may not be the same even if they look similar

Flip
04-02-2015, 04:46 PM
Yep!! What the others have said- you really need to establish what make of forks you have already and then decide what you want to achieve exactly i.e: a cosmetic freshen up or a full refurbish of the internals etc.

Darkness
04-02-2015, 05:22 PM
Yep!! What the others have said- you really need to establish what make of forks you have already and then decide what you want to achieve exactly i.e: a cosmetic freshen up or a full refurbish of the internals etc.

As Flip said: you need to work out what forks are on it at the moment. I think the m750 got the same non-adjustable Showas that were fitted to some m900 rather than the Marzochis on the m600.

Those say Showa on the inside face of the bottom alloy casting (Above the axle) if I remember correctly. They also have a large flat ally disk with an integral hex head (14mm ish?) at the top, rather than a deeper casting with grooves in, or adjustment locknuts.

It all depended what was in stock when bikes were assembled though, and may have been swapped over since.

If you have got non-adjustable Showa forks I think I might have a spare top tube in gold anodised?

Darkness
04-02-2015, 05:29 PM
Am I correct are the Monster 600 and 750 front forks the same size? Basically can I take parts off an M600 forks to replace the parts on my 750. Thanks.

If swapping complete monster forks, a few things that changed over the years were front axle diameter, mudguard fixing centres, brake calliper bolt centres and whether there is a speedo drive on the axle.

Other Ducati forks can also be made to fit, but introduce other differences including fork diameter where the yokes clamp them and disk offset.

Try some photo's for opinions on what you've got now.. :)

Flip
04-02-2015, 06:43 PM
a fair amount has to do with the year of the bike as well as what they had in the factory at the time they were putting the bikes together- there really was a time when bikes made side by side were completely different.

The major change of the axle diameter, front mud guard and the caliper spacing came around 2000 when almost all the bikes were Showa equipped and there was an odd time when the first injected 900's still used a cable speedo.

I think I am right in saying to begin with only the 900's had adjustable forks but could have had either Showa's or Marzocchi's fitted (my 1997 900 has Marzocchi's) but as Darkness says I am pretty sure all Showa forks has that marked on the inside of the lower casting.

Get some photos up and I'm sure we'll identify them for you.

utopia
05-02-2015, 05:57 AM
My yr 2000 750 has the non-adjustable Showas ...and they do indeed bear the Showa logo cast into the fork bottoms on the inside, but you need to look closely or you'll miss it.
In my view the forks are harsh and I would struggle to justify spending much to improve them cosmetically.
Depending on your body weight, softer or progressive springs may constitute a budget improvement to their performance but my info is that the damping is fairly poor and that the softer springs may well just highlight deficiencies there.
Once you consider that you'll need to fit new bushes, seals etc as well, it might be worth considering swapping to a better set of forks from a different monster, though bearing in mind the compatibility issues mentioned by the others.
But even then you may need new springs to get them perfect .....and a secondhand set of forks may well be a little scratched anyway.

On the other hand, mine aren't too bad on a nice smooth surface, and at least they don't dive too much under braking.
I've lived with them for 8yrs or so now.
But they really don't work at all well on a bumpy road and the axe has finally fallen ....my plan now is to get replacement cartridges fitted by Maxton, along with tailored springs etc.
This is the expensive option and is likely to leave me little change from £700 (though they do offer a cheaper option, depending on how much adjustability you want).
I reckon I could probably swap out the forks for a better, std set for about half that (or maybe less if a decent set came along at a good price), as long as I avoided the pitfalls and got a set with compatible axle size, disc offset, caliper mountings etc to match my existing bits and pieces.

I guess in the end its your call as to whether a cosmetic upgrade is worth the effort/expense or not, in your own particular circumstances.