PDA

View Full Version : M900 RoadRacing Tacho install help?

captain.r
28-01-2015, 05:05 PM
Hi everyone,

I've been lucky enough to come across a batch of RoadRacing tacho kits for the older carby monsters.

They're new old stock, without instructions and wiring. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for installing one of these on my bike?

From what I understand, it's a matter of wiring the tach into one of the wires of one of the coils. I just don't know which coil to go to and which wires I'm meant to be tapping in to?!

Is anyone able to help me out? Pictures/walkthroughs would be a great help!

Thanks a lot,
Ross

Albie
28-01-2015, 05:12 PM
I am sure its been covered on here before. Post some pics of underside etc so it helps us lot out to see whats what with what you have. They are simple kit.

Pedro
28-01-2015, 06:22 PM
Hi Captain

I got an RR clock set, if you can hang on till the weekend I'll take a look

Ped

slob
28-01-2015, 06:40 PM
the search function at the top of the page is great ;-)
http://ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=27621&highlight=tacho

captain.r
29-01-2015, 02:44 PM
Thanks a lot for the replies, Slob I think I've searched for it before a while ago and didn't come up with anything conclusive enough. I don't want to hack away at wires I'm not supposed to!

Pedro if you could post a few photos or just give me an idea of what needs to go where I would really appreciate it!

I will be receiving the tachos tomorrow and don't currently have any photos of the rear, from what I'm aware there is just a simple click in connector with what looks like 2 terminals.

Thanks again,
Ross

DrD
29-01-2015, 03:21 PM
The wring is just a two pin job at either end plus bridge connector.
One connector to tacho, one goes into the RH CDI, But it does also require a bridging connector to the standard two pin that goes into the CDI unit.

DrD
29-01-2015, 11:07 PM
Found the photo with annotation I did a few years back. Here it is again:
http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a510/dusklight28/Tacho-Feed_zpsdc461990.jpg

captain.r
30-01-2015, 04:27 PM
Great thanks a lot for the picture DrD!!

So you have a male and female connector coming from the tacho? Those two connectors are spliced together... The male will connect to the right hand coil and the female will connect to the connector which I currently have plugged into the coil?

On the back of the tacho there are two prongs, yet in the connectors in the picture there are neg, pos and a grey wire?

Sorry for all the questions, I don't have the connectors so will be wiring up some new ones to suit! Hopefully these type of connectors are easy to source.

DrD
30-01-2015, 04:44 PM
So you have a male and female connector coming from the tacho? Those two connectors are spliced together... The male will connect to the right hand coil and the female will connect to the connector which I currently have plugged into the coil?

Correct

On the back of the tacho there are two prongs, yet in the connectors in the picture there are neg, pos and a grey wire?
The wires are standard sensor wiring
- red is voltage
- black is earth/ground
- the third (white) is the signal itself.

captain.r
30-01-2015, 08:26 PM
That's a great help DrD, I don't think I'll have any issues now! Really appreciate it.

Does anyone happen to know what these kits are worth?