PDA

View Full Version : Monster Center Stand

Mr Gazza
28-01-2015, 04:50 PM
Well I wrestled under the bike last night with a center stand from a '97 ST2....I didn't know the ugly tree had so many branches..!! :grump:

It is so not going to fit even with major modification, so I won't be struggling with it again.

I would still rather like a center stand for a few reasons.
I had dismissed the idea of ever finding one of the specific Monster after market stands that were available from Ducati in the late nineties, but I am just wondering (before I give up the idea completely) Does anyone have one they would sell to me, or know of a good place to enquire after one?
Maybe someone might know of a dealer who still has some old stock? Assuming that these are no longer available new?

I will be pestering Craig at Moto Rapido tomorrow to see what the situation is regarding a new one.

Thanks in advance....And don't laugh...:rolleyes:

uksurfer
28-01-2015, 05:22 PM
If God had wanted monsters to have central stands, he would have made them with them

just so wrong, throw it in the bin with the fairing. :biggrin:

Kato
28-01-2015, 05:25 PM
967019AAA is the part you are after

I believe there is a kit available for the gt1000 still maybe that would fit ???

Mr Gazza
28-01-2015, 07:23 PM
Thank you Kato, that's helpful with searches ect. I will look into the GT1000 one but I am a little doubtful after seeing how badly the ST2 one failed...It hits the standard exhaust, the underslung mudguard and is too narrow for the crankcases..!! Also the legs would be far too long, and put the rear wheel about 5" in the air..Not insurmountable, but it's an epic fail before I even get it that far.

I don't have a copy of the ecumanical Ducati manual so I was unaware of God's intentions..:chuckle: I always though he rode a Harley anyway...Which would explain the beard.

It's only an experiment to start with, but I think it is going to be so handy when I do my 1400/1600 mile pilgrimage this Summer. Just the thing when I want to give the chain a squirt of lube miles from my paddock stand, and easier for rigging and retrieving stuff from the throwover panniers. When I come to the island hopping bit, It's going to make the ferries so much safer than riding the waves on the prop stand! I will also be able to take a wheel out should I suffer a punture in the wilds....After that I can take it off if I think it's slowing me down any..:D

Mr Gazza
29-01-2015, 05:14 PM
It seems that 967019AAA was a replacement for an earlier centre stand kit by Ducati, and is itself now not available new from Ducati.

I have seen some advertised in Germany and Italy among a few other places. Probably new/old stock but for far more Euros than I want to spend.

Still hoping that someone has one tucked away in the back of the shed somewhere that could be converted into cash by me..:biggrin:..Rusty and/or incomplete is fine by me.

I am sure someone on here mentioned that an ST2 one would fit but a 1997 one certainly does not. Does anyone know if another year or model stand can be made to fit?

Darren69
29-01-2015, 06:55 PM
Well if all you are worried about is chain maintenance for touring Gary, then get a scotoiler!

Mr Gazza
29-01-2015, 08:25 PM
I like the idea of a Scotoiler in principal, but every time I have looked into fitting one to various bikes in the past including the Monster, I have just given up after reading the fitting instructions and reccomendations. The best thing for a chain is a fully enclosed case...Do DP do a full carbon chain guard?:look:...Yes those would sell well..:chuckle::chuckle:

It's quite amusing to hear the anti-centre stand comments, but I can't think of anything better for my purposes. I always thought that a centre stand was sadly lacking on a Monster. All my bikes except three have had them as standard (the other Monster and the SS750).
Back in the day a side stand was the optional extra not the other way round.
It just makes almost every job on the bike easier, especially in the field.

I will continue my quest. Besides if I find one that fits properly it's only a ten minute job to fit or remove, so it's not exactly a permanent scar is it?..:biggrin:

Nickj
30-01-2015, 01:06 PM
If you want simpler to fit than a scott oiler then maybe these are worth a punt http://www.loobman.co.uk/index.asp
Massively expensive at £22.49 a piece, they don't connect to anything and are small enough to tuck away.

Enclosed case for a monster ... don't think they'd actually sell that many, just thinking shades of MZ in CF ...

Nottsbiker
31-01-2015, 12:13 PM
I have an old centre stand kit waiting for my monster build (long wait lol) and its a right old collection of bolts and spacers making me think its a bit of an after-thought. I'm only going to use it for long runs with luggage fitted (have Givi wing rack too).

Mr Gazza
31-01-2015, 03:50 PM
That looks like a much simpler alternative to a Scotoiler there Nick.. In fact they are under £20 for UK customers.
I nearly clicked the Buy it now button, but I had a good look at the bike first, to see where it would go, and to be honest I'm not sure I want the clutter.
Chain oiling is not the only reason for wanting a centre stand, but I suppose there is no reason why I shouldn't rig an oiler alongside a stand for the touring trips, an remove for local scratching about.

Nottsbiker. Have you ever had the stand fitted to the bike? I would be interested to hear if it fits or not...have you any pictures of it?
Remember me if you get bored with it kicking around...:biggrin:

StevieL
31-01-2015, 05:48 PM
Be interested in offering your stand up on my bike Gazza as I do not have the rear brake rod in the way atb Steve

Mr Gazza
31-01-2015, 06:09 PM
You're welcome to try it Stevie, but I took off the brake rod to try it on mine.

If you can make it fit though, it will give me hope.

I'll bring it along when we get our winter meet sorted out...Do you fancy a look at the Lessingham Star?

Otherwise I could drop it in for you and test out one of your coffee cups...:mand:

Darren69
31-01-2015, 06:11 PM
That looks like a much simpler alternative to a Scotoiler there Nick.. In fact they are under £20 for UK customers.
I nearly clicked the Buy it now button, but I had a good look at the bike first, to see where it would go, and to be honest I'm not sure I want the clutter.
Chain oiling is not the only reason for wanting a centre stand, but I suppose there is no reason why I shouldn't rig an oiler alongside a stand for the touring trips, an remove for local scratching about.

Nottsbiker. Have you ever had the stand fitted to the bike? I would be interested to hear if it fits or not...have you any pictures of it?

Have you considered an Abba stand/bike lift? Handy for the workshop, I really rate mine, but not portable enough to take with you.

Mr Gazza
31-01-2015, 06:59 PM
Have you considered an Abba stand/bike lift? Handy for the workshop, I really rate mine, but not portable enough to take with you.

Thanks for the thought Darren, but it's missing the point.
I already have a front and rear paddock stand, which are all I need in the workshop at the moment....It's the conveneince of the onboard stand that i crave.

StevieL
31-01-2015, 07:18 PM
The Star sounds good, have you noticed the 900ie for sale in Reepham on the bay,34k miles and £1750, could be a winter project for one of you boys or girls................atb Steve

Mr Gazza
31-01-2015, 08:33 PM
Will be in touch re the Star.

I will also check out the Reepham bike...In case anyone wants any info..Just ask.

bluestoesonnose
01-02-2015, 06:38 AM
Thanks for the thought Darren, but it's missing the point.
I already have a front and rear paddock stand, which are all I need in the workshop at the moment....It's the conveneince of the onboard stand that i crave.

Abba Stands and MotoGP front stands are the way to go for the garage, but out in the wilds a Centre Stand or loob system is the way to go.

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i391/bluestoesonnose/IMAG0192_zpsadf5214a.jpg (http://s1091.photobucket.com/user/bluestoesonnose/media/IMAG0192_zpsadf5214a.jpg.html)

Just to through some more mud on the road... Not too sure where you're going but a mate who does a good deal of travelling stops in motorcycle friendly B&B on his European tours and some have a lot of kit to loob and adjust chains ect which you can use, may be worth thinking about getting a few on your route.

Mr Gazza
01-02-2015, 10:29 AM
Nice set up you have there Blues.

I don't have a passport. The destination is the Ring of Brodga on the Solstice.
I must admit I hadn't thought of Biker freindly B&Bs specifically, just freindly ones with secure parking if possible....Something else to research...:spin:

Nottsbiker
02-02-2015, 12:34 PM

Sorry my bike came to me in bits (in the boot of my then Civic 3-door) and I picked up the centre stand kit on ebay for about £50 delivered but got it as a collection of bits no instructions.

I'm coming to the end of a long and expensive house renovation and now have clear my credit card bill before I can think of building my 944 up :(

As soon as the CC is cleared the engine will be up to Cornerspeed for a full rebuild - the whole bike cost me £600 and had been sat in a wet shed in bits.....