PDA

View Full Version : Centerstand instruction ?

markIV
05-02-2004, 06:35 PM
I've just ordered a centerstand for my '02 Monster and I understand they aren't furnished with an instruction sheet.
Does anyone know where I can find instructions or if anyone has fitted one of these would they please enlighten me as to any tips or tricks.
Any help will be appreciated.
Cheers,
Mark

WalMac
05-02-2004, 06:54 PM
Mark I've fitted one to a 2001 M750 and it really is very easy,when you see the bits ie spacers etc its straight forward.If you are still unsure I can email you the info on how i did mine.
Ducati never seem to include fitment info.

Wal.

markIV
05-02-2004, 07:33 PM
Thanks Wal, If I can't suss it myself , I'll email you . Thanks for your help.
Mark

spacemonkey
05-02-2004, 09:19 PM
How do you get on with it ? What difference does it make when riding (ground clearence etc)?
How easy is it to get on/off stand and can you still use the side stand ok?
Is it possible to rest the bike on the centre stand and put weight or summit onthe back to get the front wheel off the ground?

I'm thinking of buying one you see...

WalMac
05-02-2004, 09:29 PM
I'ts mine thats for sale on this forum.
Ground clearance is reduced on left handers as the stand will touch down before the can.
Its easy to get on and off the stand as on any other bike,side stand is as normal.
yes you can get the front wheel off the ground.
my stand is still up for offers??

Wal.

spacemonkey
05-02-2004, 09:59 PM
Oh yeah!! Durr...

Thinking.. can't decide on this being on permanently or getting a paddock stand and a headstock adapter....

Open bids at £35 ??????????????????????? :)

markIV
08-02-2004, 10:37 PM
Does anyone have any closeup pics of the centerstand mounts.I must be mentally deficient but I'm having a hard time picturing where all the ally spacers go.
Any help will be appreciated

johnypebs
27-02-2004, 09:25 PM
I took my S4 to Aberdeen for a week, with all my gear in an Oxford tailpack which was expanded right out and quite heavy. The sidestand was hopeless with this on, the bike was nearly falling over at every petrol stop. I've got a rack on it's way and later this year it'll have a tent and sleeping bag lashed to it, so I've now ordered a centre stand aswell.

Billy Bigwheels
28-02-2004, 09:26 AM
markIV - I fitted a centre stand to my old 600. From memory I only used the spacers on the left hand side, and you don't end up using them all either. The extras are supplied as the stands fit various years of m/c.
I didn't need any on the right due to the lack of side stand fitment on that side.
Good luck and I hope this helps a little.

spacemonkey
29-02-2004, 02:59 PM
Ok everyone, I bought the above stand and even though it is the right one for mine it doesn't fit properly. Ruislip Daytona reckons it is correct and they confirmed I fitted it correct in relation to the position, spring, and spacers. Trouble is it rubs the tyre and can move side to side about 5mm in the top brackets! I have standard size tyres, and the ST2 they had was fitted identically to the way I did it but still has a good inch clearance even with the wheel forward, as on mine. And there is no lateral play at all.
Any ideas? The top brackets are bolted in the right place with no spacers needed between the crankcases and the brackets as on the ST2, which of course uses the same lump...

johnypebs
19-03-2004, 12:50 PM
I've just fitted the Ducati centre stand kit to my S4 using 'the force' because I got no instructions either. The pivot plates went directly onto the crankcases leaving about 5mm end float for the stand, which has plenty room between it and the tyre. The plate on the clutch side is about 5mm thick which means that three of the 5mm spacers have to be used to bolt the footrest bracket back on squarely. A future bodge will be the removal of 5mm from the inside of the bracket to put it back where it was and dispense with the three spacers. The chain side only required the swapping of the existing thick spacer for a thinner one from the kit. It all looked great except for the long through bolt which was about an inch too long, so rather than saw the end off I put a thick spacer either side to take up the distance. The kit is like a Scotoiler, a universal type that has all the bits for a multitude of bikes, you just have to figure out what goes where with the Ducati one.

johnypebs
22-03-2004, 08:51 AM
Oops boys & girls, after staring at my offset r/h silencer for the past few days it dawned on me what the 4th 5mm spacer was for. It goes between the can and the hanger, in other words the entire footrest hanger goes sideways by the thickness of the centre stand mounting plate, then the spacers (4 X 5mm) fill in the gaps.

retskcid
21-04-2008, 05:20 PM
I've just fitted the Ducati centre stand kit to my S4 using 'the force' because I got no instructions either. The pivot plates went directly onto the crankcases leaving about 5mm end float for the stand, which has plenty room between it and the tyre. The plate on the clutch side is about 5mm thick which means that three of the 5mm spacers have to be used to bolt the footrest bracket back on squarely. A future bodge will be the removal of 5mm from the inside of the bracket to put it back where it was and dispense with the three spacers. The chain side only required the swapping of the existing thick spacer for a thinner one from the kit. It all looked great except for the long through bolt which was about an inch too long, so rather than saw the end off I put a thick spacer either side to take up the distance. The kit is like a Scotoiler, a universal type that has all the bits for a multitude of bikes, you just have to figure out what goes where with the Ducati one.

I just got a centre stand on ebay (good job since the side stand was about to give way) and it came with only one spacer, am I going to have problems fitting it then?

Cheers

Rich

Albie
21-04-2008, 06:10 PM
Plenty of washers then eh !!!:idea:

How does your bike run now its serviced btw. I presume you have it back.

retskcid
21-04-2008, 06:31 PM
Plenty of washers then eh !!!:idea:

How does your bike run now its serviced btw. I presume you have it back.

Unfortunately not, the alarm appears to have failed (engine wont turnover) and I am waiting to hear from Steve re: a solution. Will probably just rip it out.