PDA

View Full Version : M600 Dark Carb question

ZodiacG66
10-01-2015, 06:34 PM
Hi guys,
Just a quick question, in the middle of the carbs just under the fuel intake barb the is another barb . . . what is it and where should a pipe go to? to the left side pod with the bard on it or is it just an overflow?

The bike had loads missing from it when I bought it and was not a very good runner.
Jetted the carbs with a 6sigma kit (both needles in the carbs were set at different heights), re-sprayed the tank (loads of scratches), fitted a fuel pump (bike didn't have a pump, went straight from the tank to the carbs) and fitted a set of Mivv X-cone exhausts.

Running much better now :) just need to run the last few air vent hoses from the carb to the right side pod and adjust the idle speed to 1300/1200 from 1500.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give :)

Dookbob
10-01-2015, 07:32 PM
It,s a vent, and as you guessed, a rubber pipe goes from there to the left hand side pod.

ZodiacG66
11-01-2015, 08:21 AM
Many thanks :)

utopia
11-01-2015, 09:01 AM
Some folk remove the pods.
The vent pipes seem to be ok as long as they exit rearwards in an area where they will be away from any wind pressure.
Mine now exit just above the battery box.

ZodiacG66
11-01-2015, 01:26 PM
The last owner removed the pods and all the pipes connecting to them and just left all the bare ends on the card exposed so any fuel overflow would have dripped on the engine.
I wanted the bike back to standard so everything was as it should be on the engine and it's running much better now just a little rich, sparks are dry but black so need to look at the mix.
Almost all sorted :)

Dookbob
12-01-2015, 12:55 PM
What,s the mileage on it?

ZodiacG66
13-01-2015, 04:59 AM
just under 28,000 miles, 51 plate, 2002 reg

urbanfireblade
13-01-2015, 06:52 AM
A fellow 600 Dark owner! Mines an '01 on a Y-plate. Cracking bikes, grumpy is how I describe mine lol. Simple to work on, and look and sound fab!
My friend has a 900 with no pods and it ran fine so if you choose not to have them it won't do any harm.

Dookbob
13-01-2015, 05:36 PM
Not exactly true. You can only run without the pods if you find a spot to position the hose ends away from a negative pressure area. As Utopia has already said, he runs his hoses to the battery area, but all this is trial and error unless you just happen to choose the right spot by chance. The result of getting it wrong will give you incorrect float level symptoms.
Zodiac, given that your motor has done 28K miles and is running a bit rich, it might be a good time to take a look at the needle jets and check for ovality, unless you have already done that when you fitted the 6sigma jet kit.

ZodiacG66
13-01-2015, 06:24 PM
The Idle mix screws were 4 and 4.5 turns counterclockwise from seated (both were set at different turns), normally should be around 3 for stock and less for jetted (6sigma kit says 2 turns from seated).

With the air inlet hoses there is a small air filter on each hose, anyone know where I can get some? Can't seem to find any online :(

**Never mind, looks like it's just a filter to catch any crap and many people use small fuel filters to do the same job**