PDA

View Full Version : Cush drive and wheel bearing removal

Dennis menace
05-01-2015, 11:26 AM
Did a couple of jobs over the holidays so I thought I would share the knowledge:idea:

I removed the rear wheel cush drive rubber bushes using an M12 coach bolt as a draw bar, passed through a large socket, for the bush to pull into. Worked well but I would not re-use the bushes.

I couldn't drift the wheel bearings out from the opposite side (Haynes book of lies) so I used a mid-sized C spanner (of the type used to tighten the locking rings on a the rear shock) and hooked the tine of the spanner from the same side as the bearing into the slot in the bearing spacer. Then, from the opposite side of the wheel I passed a bar (old half inch socket extension bar) and hit that against the spanner - hard. Worked first time but a bit brutal on the C spanner (only a cheap one so better ones may survive).

Dennis menace
05-01-2015, 11:28 AM
Sorry, M10 coach bolt, M12 won't fit through the hole. I also used a star washer behind the bolt head to stop it turning by itself against the bush.

scrapps
05-01-2015, 04:27 PM
Look on youtube. I found a video on how to make one. I used a couple pieces of wood some large studding and washers worked great got all mine out ok.

Dirty
05-01-2015, 07:38 PM
http://youtu.be/1PZd0G28ruA

Rascall
05-01-2015, 11:45 PM
I have a small amount of play in the rear sprocket, if I hold the sprocket like a steering wheel and rotate I have about 2 to 3mm of play at the sprocket teeth. Not sure if swapping the rubbers would remove this, didn't want to go through the hassle and expense of changing the inserts if it wasn't going to remove the play. The rubbers and inserts look ok.

Russell

jerry
06-01-2015, 03:52 AM
a couple of mm of play does not seem much but when i got it together to change the cush rubbers in my 750ss it didnt half make a difference to the bike ,, handleing and power and general feeling of tightness

Rascall
06-01-2015, 07:21 AM
Thanks, looks like another job to add to the list.

Russell