PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning out old header gasket material

jonzi
01-01-2015, 04:35 PM
Not for a Monster but...

I need to replace the header gaskets on my 675. The headers are off but the bit where the new gasket will go is covered in old "stuff". I dont know what it is and I don't know what I can do to remove it.

Can I spray brake cleaner around this area? use a putty knife or scalpel or something to cut the old stuff out?

Dirty
01-01-2015, 04:52 PM
I used to use one of those stanley blade holder things and then some very light wet n dry for the last little bits on cars n karts.

Edit - be extra careful if it's an ally block

This (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stanley-Razor-Edge-Scraper-5-Blades-STA028500-Perfect-For-Windows-Glass-x2-/360954960891?pt=UK_DIY_Material_Paint_Varnish_MJ&hash=item540a979bfb)sort of thing

Dookbob
01-01-2015, 07:06 PM
Are we talking about a cylinder head gasket here, or are we talking about the exhaust pipe gaskets. If it is the exhaust pipe gaskets, they can be a pain to remove once they have been in there for while, I use a very small chisel and a SMALL hammer to dig out the old gaskets. Be a bit careful, remember that behind that old gasket is an aluminium face that you don't want to damage. A flat blade screwdriver will do if you don't have a small chisel . The old gasket is either copper, or a copper and asbestos substitute material.

jonzi
01-01-2015, 07:19 PM
It's the exhaust pipe gasket.

I'll have a dig about tomorrow after I have been to Halfords to collect my new tool chest and cabinet!

Cheers fellas

Dookbob
01-01-2015, 07:27 PM
The compressed gasket material is only going to be about 1.5 mm or so thick, so you will go at it a bit careful like, once you clear a little bit out it gets easier to shift.